C8 Antenna Options?

Ok .. I just asked bobby .. lets see what he says :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fixed.... lol

1 Like

I just ordered these .. and bobby was nice enough to send out two new stock ant's
I have a kinda week z-wave mesh most everything i have is zigbee and 7 - zwave
I also just ordered a z-wave lock for my door .. Hope with the new ant this will help.
I will update when I get these and test .. see if they do better then stock :slight_smile:

Long Range Z-wave is coming.
It's in beta testing.
I have two Zooz ZSE18 motion sensors. Definitely better range. Have one in mailbox and one in package bin.

This question was asked and addressed a few posts above yours. The link is to a post by another staff member (so you can trust that the answer is correct).

I'll be curious to hear what you think of those... I tried them, and I wasn't impressed -- I'm back to stock for now.

But I realize there are a lot of environment-unique things at play, so maybe they'll be a win for you!

Shoot .. now you tell me ! lol Hope so LOL

1 Like

yeah .. I see that .. but like I said with some testing on stock ant I found that my z-wave
mesh seems to not do well with one of the stock ant. I swap them its a seems a little better but still
not good .. so I may have a bad ant. that's why bobby is sending 2 new ones.
but I also thought I would try these other ones see what happens - testing

Edit : Could be my z-wave mesh just sucks LOL - Guess we will see

1 Like

Those antennas sound like they should be pretty great -- all specs etc really seem to check out well.

So I had high hopes, but they just didn't yield any noticeable improvement... We don't have a great way to compare zigbee performance, but my ZW #s were consistently less impressive than the stock-antenna #s (not terrible, but definitely less).

Overall, the antennas worked, they just weren't a game-changer for me.

Possibly, but zwave was mostly working (other than the few far out devices) and I swapped antenna back and forth and Zigbee never really worked. Was only able to even add the device when it was about 2 feet away. Maybe it was one completely bad antenna and one partially bad antenna but this was a brand new C8-Pro from Amazon. Either way, it appears to be working better for me now.

2 Likes

I tried them on a zigbee dongle and as a replacement zigbee antenna on a C-8. They consistently yielded lower lqi for me.
This is the one I am currently using. Replaced an antenna that had a run in with my cat. Amazon.com
For Zigbee it seems pretty comparable to stock

1 Like

Please check my private message (see notification in the upper right corner). We'd like to get more details about your experience.

FYI - those antennas will not work for z-wave devices.

3 Likes

Do you use those for both Zigbee and Zwave? Or just Zigbee?

You need Frequency Range: 698-960 MHz for Z-Wave.

The antennas in the link in @aaiyar's reply do not appear to support Z-Wave, their frequency range reported on the product page is:

Dual Band WiFi: 2.4GHz (2400 - 2485 MHz), 5GHz/5.8GHz (5150 - 5850 MHz)

1 Like

Hmm, I did replace them both and Zigbee worked much better immediately. ZWave is actually working pretty well but maybe I will switch back to stock the ZWave antenna temporarily.

I ordered these for the Zwave and will test Amazon.com

Those will work for both zigbee and z-wave. The antennas provided with the C-8 also match 4G frequencies.

I use a specific antenna for z-wave. And a generic 2.4 GHz antenna for zigbee.

This is the antenna I use for z-wave:

https://www.l-com.com/wireless-antenna-900-mhz-3-dbi-rubber-duck-antenna-rp-sma-plug-connector

2 Likes

Very interested in this, before hubitat I had 2 smartthings hubs and was hoping to be able to setup my mesh correctly (almost every switch is ZWave plus with repeater) so I didn't need multiple hubs but a few switches and door locks on the far edges won't connect. They are only maybe 60 feet through a few walls and have switches in between that should be able to hop. I have about 57 ZWave switches spread throughout a 3000 sq ft ranch.

Whatever it's doing, it's doing it w/out a Z-Wave antenna. :slight_smile: I also accidentally put a Zigbee-only antenna on my C8 Z-Wave antenna mount (grabbed the wrong antenna from a box) and things still worked, but worked much better once I installed a Z-Wave antenna. :slight_smile:

More likely, the antennas originally purchased by @dareniott don't have the wavelength specificity indicated on their Amazon page. Perhaps they're actually 4G antennas.

From what I've read, this is not uncommon.

2 Likes