C7 - authentication issue with z-wave S0 security on locks

@csteele : So, let me see if I understand this ... My locks will no longer pair correctly because they're S0? And the failure is because the z-wave code on the C7 is broken?

If I follow the logic here ... then NONE of my S0 stuff will pair - again - with my C7 if I have to remove it and re-join?

Edward

S0 Only devices that can join with no security can join just fine, but only as none. (S-none) S0. You can't join S0 Only devices as S0. S-None

Devices that are S0 Only AND are barrier devices, which means they MUST join securely, are impossible easy to join, period. If they join as S-none then their barrier code prevents them from working.

No.. Hubitat can safely be left out of this. :slight_smile: It's pure SiLabs insistence that to remain certified, that S0 devices must 'bootstrap' to S2. The code that's out on the Zwave radio chip is a SiLabs image.

EDIT to correct per @jtp10181 and @bertabcd1234

1 Like

I might be misunderstanding; S0-only devices should be able to join as S0 if they either have a specific secure inclusion process or if that's the only method they support (cough, cough, many Monoprice sensors, the 500-series Zooz 4-in-1, original-firmware Inovelli bulbs, and other devices people love to hate...and, of course, older locks). The issue I'm aware of is that the hub can't not ask them to use security in this case, even if the device works with non-secure inclusion (and S0 carries a lot of overhead compared to either other option, which can contribute to problematic network chattiness).

1 Like

I only HAVE barrier devices. So, "... NONE of my S0 stuff will pair ..." is accurate. Wonderful.

I would like to know what changed in the last month that all my S0 stuff worked the first of June, but not now. SOMETHING was broken between my re-adding the devices after the "migration" and a week or so ago. Either SI, Hubitat or both.

Edward

1 Like

I'm trying to rewind through experiences of a year ago in memory... Am I misremembering?

My understanding is that S0 devices will pair as s0 regardless unless you use a secondary controller to pair with no security. Am I wrong somehow in that?

1 Like

That is the case, but only if the device can only put itself in secure inclusion mode (and doesn't support S2). Many devices that support S0 have separate secure vs. non-secure inclusion modes, including the Zooz ZEN15 plug (one type of button press/hold for non-secure, a different one for secure) as well as some HomeSeer sensors I've used. Some don't, like the infamous 500-series Zooz 4-in-1. Those are the ones that will always use S0; the device will request it (because there is no method on the device you can use to not request it when pairing), the hub will accept it (because it will always use security if the device offers and doesn't support S2, where you get a choice), and then ... S0 results. :smiley:

This was different on the C-5 because you could make the hub not request security except for cetain types of devices (but if you did change this option away from this default, you'd get the same results). The 700-series SDK the C-7 is using apparently does not provide this capability.

1 Like

I had 2 schlage be469's that would pair at s0 on my C7 (before schlage swapped them out for newer versions that paired at s2)

1 Like

I'm getting a distinct wiff of 'you should just upgrade' and 'barely functional'. :rage:

What I've gotten from the last three posts is this:

All S0 barrier devices - door locks, garage door openers, whatever - will no longer pair with the Hubitat C7. Until/unless SI decides to "fix" this. I get the distinct impression they won't - this is an intentional 'break'.

In the meantime Hubitat will continue selling the C7 knowing this? Without letting anyone know up front there's a problem? Seriously? Can't even be bothered to at the least update the Compatible Devices list?

I thought it was peculiar seeing a almost $50 sale mark-down when I bought my C7. Now I understand. Its not a 'sale' - its an attempt to pawn off known defective inventory anyway possible.

Had I known I'd have problems like this, I would have never bought a C7. But I guess that's the point, isn't it? If they told everyone, no one would buy it.

That’s not true. There are users who have S0 devices paired to their C7 hubs - like @rlithgow1.

3 Likes

Wow this thread totally derailed. S0 devices should as far as I know be able to pair just fine. The only restriction the C7 has is that you cannot unselect the S0 security, it does not even ask it just pairs away as S0 if that's what the device is requesting.

To me from the posts way up above, it looks like the device itself is stalling out during pairing and either not responding to the hub or the info is not making it to the hub. I think I saw you had put the hub very close to the device though.

Have you updated the zwave radio on the C7? If not on the zwave details page there would be an Update Firmware button (not the same as the update button in the right corner). If there is no button you are already updated.

5 Likes

This is a problem with 3 locks and a garage door controller.

Yes, I've placed them literally on top the hub.

Yes, I've upgraded the z-wave firmware on the hub.

This is about S0 BARRIER devices.

After pairing one, have you tried to either reboot the hub or press the "Update" button on the zwave details (which I found out seems to restart the radio). When I was re-pairing devices from S2 down to None security it would keep showing S2 on the wave details until I did one of those two. Its unlikely that it really did pair in S0 given the error message but worth a shot.

When you pair I assume you are not getting any prompts to select the security?

One other thing I would try is after the failed partial pairing, set the device to the correct driver, factory reset the device and try doing a "replace". Do not exclude as that will remove the node from the hub. Maybe it will bootstrap correctly during the replace, even though it is having issues with the original pairing. I have found that after pressing replace, count to 10 then put the device into pairing mode (I need to add this tip to my guide). This only works on a C7 hub [Guide] Updating Firmware and ZWave Replace

3 Likes

Yea. So did I. Until I unpaired and tried to put them back. Before you start discounting the problem, how about you read this thread?

Actually, I have. You have misinterpreted what @csteele wrote, as corrected by @bertabcd1234 and @jtp10181

3 Likes

No that isn't true at all. There is nothing defective about the C7. Many people have been successful using S0 devices (yes that includes BARRIER devices) on this hub.

You are way off here.

Well that is also not correct, there have been devices removed from the list when they are known to have issues, notably the Schlage locks. These Schlage still work and pair for most people, but Hubitat support typically won't get involved with trying to troubleshoot them.

It would appear that you are having some unique issue here. It isn't intentional, they aren't selling hubs that don't work with Z-wave or anything of the kind. I don't know what your error code means, or why you are getting that, but it doesn't appear to be a widespread issue. Many of us have paired these and other locks and garage door opener devices (yes BARRIER devices) successfully with a C7 over a span of a couple years.

I think you need to work with @bobbyD in support and @bcopeland who is the Z-wave guru at Hubitat to work through this. Maybe this is some type of bug? Maybe it is some situation unique to your setup? Hard to tell at this point.

6 Likes

Just to add to this, I have two Yale YRD256. They are paired as S0 (its forced) and they are barrier devices.

The only problem I have with them is that the hub needs to be in range. They don't seem to like repeaters much. But they joined easily and work which is all I ask. Those are the only two s0 devices I have on my network though.

2 Likes

@user1848 I pulled out my old schlage (be469 last night) and paired it with my c7 and it paired fine at s0. Pulled batteries for an hour, force removed it from my C7, cleaned out the ghost and rebooted. Factory reset the lock and then paired again with s0 on it's own just dandy. So they are not selling defective hubs as you say. Someone above simply miswrote something and you seem stuck on it. I honestly can't say what's going on in your case. If you haven't already, perhaps factory resetting the lock(s) would help.

5 Likes

I am so sorry for the poor experience you've had so far with the C7. I know how frustrating this is. Of the tens of thousands of hubs we have sold, I can assure you that there are no bad hubs intentionally sold, or else you'd see tens of thousands of posts similar to yours.

Sometimes, things beyond our control might happen. If there are bugs we can fix, we do so right away, but when we cannot fix them, starting over with a new hub may be the only solution.

If you didn't do so already, please open a warranty case by visiting below page.

We will look at your hub (as long as it remains connected to the cloud) and provide you with an explanation of what happened, or send you a replacement so you can start over. I know this is not what you want to hear, but is the best thing we can do in this particular situation:

4 Likes

Changed the title to reflect the real, and isolated issue.

5 Likes