C7 Network Connection Issue

Hi

I have been using my first C7 for about a year, with no issues. Works really well.

I purchased a second, which seems to have fundemental issue reltating to networking.

To remove any network hardware issues, I have plugged the new problamatic C7 into where the origonal one was working. Green light comes on.

There is a message saying "cloud connection is unavailable" and I cant manage to update the firmware as it starts and then just times out on 0%.

Here is what I have tried.

Set speed to auto negotiate
Tried static and DHCP
Reset button pressed for 7s
Tried a soft reset through :8081
Tried updating firmware though :8081
Tried a hard reset through :8010 (after entering mac address) and there is no hard reset button option.

I also notice when I can occationall connect, the C7 seems to be running extremely slowly when compared to the working one. For eample when clicking on rooms, it might take 15 seconds to load, then it flashed up the page, then a connection lost error from the brouser comes up.

I am sure there is something up with the network settings, but unsure what to try next.

Any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Pretty sure all the green light means is the UI is up and running. It's good that it's green but I don't think it tells you much about network connectivity.

A couple things I might try... first flip your configuration back to using DHCP just to eliminate any issues with a static configuration (bad DNS entries are a common problem).

(1) Try pinging the new hub repeatedly and see if you're having packet loss. I suspect you are. If so proceed with the next few steps. If not I'm likely barking up the wrong tree,

(2) are you using a known good ethernet cable between the hub and the switch? You said you plugged your new HE into the same switch port as the working HE, did you use the same cable? If not try reverting to a known good cable.

(3) Just confirming you tried both auto-negotiate and fixed 100Mbps. Sounds like you did.

(4) Did you try a different switch port? Should make no difference if you're using a known good one, but...

If none of these help it would seem to me to be an issue with the hub's network interface, in which case we can get someone from support to assist. But try those steps first.

What kind of switch are you using?

2 Likes

I would set the speed to fixed 100mbps, especially if you are connecting the hub to a Netgear or Asus networking switch, and also as @brad5 suggested, I would set back to use the DHCP server. One thing I didn't see you mentioned, which may prevent the hub to connect to the cloud, is updating the time from browser. You can do that from Hub Details or Diagnostic Tool. If these measures don't help, please send me a private message along with your new hub's MAC address.

1 Like

Hi Brad

Thaks for the quick reply.

I pinged and avergaged between 75% and 25% loss. Didnt manage to get one ping working without loss.

I tried a new known / good cable directly into a spare port on the router (I have an Asus Router, and a Netgear switch.) and pinged a few times.

Same poor results with packet losses.

I changed from auto negotiate to 100mbps and the error message went away, and now shows no system messages.

The firmware tool works further now, where it prompts to agree to terms, and starts download, but hangs at 0% download and times out.

Taking a look at BobbyD's comment I went on to his points, DHCP already set, so tried updating the time.

Time updated.

Tried updating firmware, and got further to 33% then hung. System seems to be running quicker but has 50% packet loss consistantly.

Following bobbyD comments, will private massage him now.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions Brad

No problem. This definitely sounds like a layer 1 issue. If I were a betting man I'd say hub hardware though I will wait for Bobby to be the final arbitrator!

1 Like

Hi Brad,

Layer 1....this is well above my pay grade. No idea what that is!

Comfortable with most features / settings, but will wait for Bobby to advise.

Sorry... . Layer 1 is a reference to the OSI model, which describes the various components of data communications. Layer 1 refers to the physical components including the physical network interface, the cabling, etc. The OSI model is not used all that often anymore so I am dating myself!

Hi Bobby

Sorry aout the half sentence reply. I replied to you directly as requested.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.