C7 driving me nuts - i need to better understand some Z-wave principles -only works one way

I try to keep it all simple. No security what's so ever. The switches are tz68e(many), tz88e(few with power) & tz69e(few with power).
All works on C5. Sometimes C7 seems to work for a while then it doesn't. Reliability is all over the place. The C7 just provides access to switches via the mesh. No rules & minimum of inbuilt apps installed and some other apps that all run on C5. Currently i have 23 switcges running on the C7. Only a handle left to move but not until issues are resolved.
I moved a few back to C5 today.

Right I'm coming out of the darkness now and have managed to delete the ghosts I have using the well documented posts in this forum.

What I want to know now is:
1: How this happened? Why is it happening? Can I do something to work around the issues so I get no more ghosts?
2: Who owns the problem? Will it / when will it be fixed?
3. Is it safe to move more switches over to the C7?

Likely a combination of issues - User, HE Firmware, Radio Firmware issues.. you control the first by making sure you have a strong enough mesh and resetting your devices before pairing, shutting down/pull plug/restart after several inclusions etc, HE controls the second, and Silicon Labs (developer of the Z-Wave Radio chipset and firmware) + HE controls the third. The good news is the HE firmware WILL get better and my understanding the next big update 2.6 will have radio fixes including some cool new features like Long Range.

HE and Silicon Labs, we never know with these things - RSN (Real Soon Now). We DO know that the issues are being actively worked on by the staff thanks to their many posts about it.

I would say a qualified "yes". If your current set of devices are working then most likely it's okay to continue. I have a hub with over 70+ Zooz switches that is working well (minor issues with a switch or 2). Some devices like the Zooz 4-in-1 are very problematic so would hold off on those.

Hope this helps... :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks. Very reassuring. I will continue my migration from C5 to C7 but at a lot slower pace and much more testing.

2 Likes

It's not a good experience at the moment. C7 is all over the place .. it's not consistent.

I've seen the following:
Entries listed in Z-Wave Details but not in Devices
Entries listed in Device but not in Z-Wave Details
Over night the log reported on 2 'Device' names. Then a reboot fixed that(First time I have seen this issue quite like this)

I have to physical take the power cable out of the HE for 5 minutes or more to resolve these issues. My HE devices are plugged into Alexa wi-fi controlled switches, just turning off the switch doesn't seem to be as effective as removing the cable.

On the positive side it does sometimes seem to all work!

I pride myself in problem determination (it's an important part of my job) but I have to say nailing the C7 issues has been very hard. The only other time I have seen issues that change with the wind speed is where storage is over written by some process resulting in what appears to be random events.

So for now I reboot many times a day and hope for a fix soon. Any eta?

Almost impossible to answer that. There is a lot of user discussion in this thread, but is there a specific bug that Hubitat has confirmed?

If not then I would say no, no fix any time soon. There are some zwave platform updates that are likely coming in 2.2.6, but that is likely a few months away (March? April? Who knows, but I don't expect it before then).

Will that even fix your issues? Who knows? Unless they find a specific bug or issue to fix it is anyone's guess.

So I assume I have at least one faulty device. I thought I would just start disabling them from Devices but the disable function is lost between reboots. I think this may be a bug. Anyway if I had one or more faulty zwave devices would disabling them be sufficient or should I physically disconnect them for testing purposes.

Also I don't think "disabling" from HE removes it from the mesh so any potential trouble it's causing there would not stop.

1 Like

If think your right. So maybe I have stumbled on root cause.. it's not the C7. It appears to be one bad z-wave switch that causes all my issues. I hate it when a device fails into a state between not working and working. If it had failed completely I would have resolved this weeks ago. Still what else did I have to do... ! Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.