C-7 Zigbee Status Setting

Posted this a while back in a 'Using C-7' thread What is the C-7 Zigbee Status setting supposed to do?

Re-posting here in case it was missed. I assumed C-7 Zigbee radio would be controlled by this setting; as of 2.2.2.129 it doesn't turn off when set to disabled.

Tagging @gopher.ny, @mike.maxwell, and @bcopeland to make sure they are aware of this report.

2 Likes

To followup, I verified that the Zigbee radios in both my C-3 and C-7 hubs do not turn off with Zigbee set to 'DISABLED'.

At some level Zigbee functionality is indeed disabled, since Zigbee device commands do not execute. In fact, they appear to be queued if sent from the UI and execute when Zigbee is subsequently enabled.

Fun fact, shutdown also does not turn off the radio. Looking at frames with C-7 in red light state shows periodic broadcasts: Nwk Src 0x0000 (coordinator) to Nwk Dest 0xFFFC (all routers & coordinator). End devices are also sending to 0x0000 with Ack req; I observed intermediate routers forwarding their frames to the coordinator and coordinator Ack responses (I couldn't tell what the commands were since my packet sniffer didn't decode them).

Nice to know that Zigbee heal still works with the radio broadcasting during shutdown; at least it did for the simple scenarios I performed-- moving an end device out of range from its original parent-- though not sure why.... the network layer seems relatively intact when the hub is in shutdown mode (not that I would know for sure; but I didn't observe any beacon frames until I pulled the plug on the hub).

@Tony
Is this still the case with later versions of the firmware?
(i.e. 2.2.4.X)?

AFAIK, yes; though that is an assumption on my part and I haven't actually checked. I assume it would have been significant enough to mention if the behavior had been changed, and there was no comment from anyone at HE when I made the original post to indicate that this wasn't working as designed.