Off-topic rant about security

Yes but by the time APR is out we will likely need v3 repeaters...

At this point, the main reason I have a Ring Gen2 Extender--is to detect power outages. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Due to a county mandated septic system design creating a likelihood that the lower level of the house would be flooded with "bad stuff" if power is lost. I chose to add a very expensive device for detecting and mitigating power outages...a whole house generator and it most certainly makes sure I know the power is out while it fires up.

But all joking aside the Ring Gen2 Extender seemed like it would be the perfect device with the battery being very useful to bridge the gap between power fail and generator on however if no devices are going to route through them it really does me zero good.

2 Likes

I am already inundated with notifications when there is a power outage... I definitely don't need them for that. :slight_smile:

Just out of curiosity, are you seeing your Rings double report battery status? I'm seeing the Rings send a battery report, and then another report 20 seconds later.

At noon I removed the 4 Ring Gen2 Extenders, as I stated earlier I showed only 1 device out of my 56 routing through any of the 4. But now that strange thing I had about 20 devices showing 9.6kbps before I removed the extenders now I only have 6 with the majority of the nodes now showing 100kbps. Now this is interesting all 6 that are showing 9.6kbps either route through the Aeotec Siren or the Aeotec Heavy Duty Relay both of which are showing S0 security. So it would seem all this likely has to do with the SO and S2 security.

1 Like

So sure enough I took the siren and put it out in the pole barn (cause it has a battery but no signals get in and out of that metal building) I then ran a repair on the 2 nodes and they both went from 9.6kbps to 100kbps with their new routes. The remaining 4 devices go through the well pump relay and if I screw with that right now I think the family will toss me out of the house. Neither the Aeotec siren or the Aeotec Heavy Duty Relay gave me an option to pair without the S0 but sure hope there is a way to do so.

2 Likes

You might want to get on with that sooner than later--that pole barn is only going to get colder over the next few months. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not sure. I turn off debug and descriptive logging for pretty much everything. I'll turn it on for a few and see.

I agree...its already getting cold :cold_face:

:crossed_fingers: that @syepes can tweak his driver to resolve the issue with that device.

1 Like

I am a new user of Hubitat moving over from ST, my experience so far is horrific. The user experience is junk devices do not add they get hung up in a never ending "initializing". This hub is not ready for primetime. I am truly disappointed with tech support as well nothing but canned responses after feeding them reams of documentation.

Unfortunate, sorry to hear it's been a bad transition. Mine had some painful moments, those are in the past now, fortunately.

If you can summarize the devices you're trying to move over (type/brand) we can see if help from the folks here will get you past the problems. Many of us are ST refugees and have seen/gotten through difficulties.

2 Likes

Sorry for the troubles. I see that we replied once, this morning asking for additional details, but we didn't get a chance to further review the information provided, just yet. We will respond as soon as possible.

2 Likes

@danabw thanks for the support, this just literally should not be this hard. I don't see how this software was ever tested you cant reliably add or remove a device with any level of consistency. The same Zooz 4n1 works one minutes and fails the next. I have around 10 of them, its a long process of adding / excluding rebooting the hub multiple times praying then it finally adds. I desperately want to like this device but so far the C7 isn't ready for prime time. A buddy has an older hubitat unit which he does not see the same issues with, we have many identical devices.

I WANT to be proved wrong!

Found Z-Wave Device with id 10

Initializing

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That surprises me, I had a few issues with earlier firmware while Moving over but the last couple of versions (since the Zw Radio update) Have been outstanding for me.

Have you updated the Radio firmware?

1 Like

@JDiGangi I won't deny there have been some glitches.

But, I also have some sympathy. This is the first "700 Series" hub to come onto the market.

One of the things that has been seen in spades--is the number of Z-Wave devices that simply do NOT properly support S2 mode. While there have certainly been some things they've needed to address from the hub side, there are a lot of cases where the OTHER things didn't work according to the Z-Wave specifications.

And, because nothing has ever needed to hook up to a 700 Series S2 hub, it hasn't mattered. Until now. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That was one of my first questions to tech support after reading for forums, I upgraded OS first on the hub itself...literally as it was going I saw the thread about doing the Zwave firmware first. I even tried to roll back the OS and then upgrade the zwave firmware. It says its up to date ????

I am hoping either my hub shipped with it, or its bundled in the OS

1 Like

I did the zwave Radio update after the os firmware update and it worked fine for me.

Yours might already have the latest radio firmware.

That is easy to validate. If you go to the following page, can you share the results?

yourHubIp/hub/zwaveVersion

Replace yourHubIP with actual IP address.