Off-topic rant about security

I can't really answer that from a network standpoint.

But I love that the Ring one will let me detect power outages. With the hub on a UPS and the Ring not on one, I get an event triggered when the Ring switches to and from battery.

@bcopeland likes them.

1 Like

It's too late now. I got the Ghost Removal Guide all wet now, reading it in the pool.

:beers:

2 Likes

So far, I would say yes.

Fine Print: This is not a scientific test, I did not utilize any test equipment. So what you are getting here may be purely subjective and opinion based. YMMV

3 Likes

Although most series 2 Ring devices are available in the UK it appears the range extenders aren't (still Gen1). Probably the manufacturing of the plug style, or old stock levels ...

Will pairing the Ring2s as S2 unauthenticated be enough? I'm guessing yes?

So far I've been pairing all the devices to the C7 with no security. Do you know if going from Ring2 extender S2 to no security is okay? I know there was a discussion about a repeater simply repeating frames so it likely wouldn't matter.

Maybe a followup question - instead of no authentication should I actually be pairing the devices as S2 unauthenticated? Given the Rings preference for S2 I'm wondering if other things work better under S2....

They only support s2 authenticated. So make sure to get the pin that ends up against the wall before you try to include

1 Like

Assume auto-correct result here? Was supposed to be below?

"So make sure you push the pin..."

I think he was using PIN to mean the Zwave Device Specific Key code used to S2 authenticate the device (which is sometimes obtained by scanning a QR code with your phone)

1 Like

LOL...perfect, thanks. PIN vs. pin confusion, something our parents never had to face. :wink:

1 Like

some of those pins are so damn small .. and bad printing trying to discern a 6 vs an 8 is always fun.

1 Like

My phone's camera roll is full of pictures of random serial numbers, model numbers and the likes..
Picture zoom to the rescue..!! :mag: :grin:

4 Likes

yep and phone flash.

I look forward to my kids going through my old family pictures for just this reason.

Son: "WTF, why does he have 8 zillion pictures of little tiny numbers?!"

8 Likes

No.. It was correct.. The DSK PIN

1 Like

better than pictures and texts from random women lol

Did you remove the smart start entry for that device?

Sometimes anecdotal evidence is better than scientific (and I WORK in the scientific community)

1 Like

I think you wanted to tag @EAN for this one.

I was referring to the stuck node you had.
That you since have cleared. Thanks

Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, during my troubleshooting of that node, I did remove the SmartStart entry. When I had removed it and was ready to reintegrate the switch, I added it back to SmartStart and it worked as intended.