Off-topic rant about security

If you get it to the point no zwave devices are responding (for whatever reason), the best step is to gracefully shut down, remove power for 30s, and power back on.

1 Like

Yeah, doing that already. Again. Not really a good solution if it's an "every 30 min" thing like it's being now.

Don't know what to tell you there. I have not been having to reset/reboot my C-7, but I've been done adding devices for some time now. Just sitting there running mine has been stable.

I upgraded my C-7 (and C-5) to the new release. C-5 is working fine so far and the C-7 initially worked great. I added my Inovelli Fan/Switch combo with no problems. To test things out, I then excluded the device from the hub which was also successful. Then to test further, I did a Z-wave reset and then tried to add the device again. This is where problems started. It is back to doing the former z-wave initializing issue. So then I rebooted the hub and now it got worse. The hub will not boot to the GUI, but it accessible through the 8081 interface. I tried rebooting through that interface with no luck and tried a hard power cycle with no luck.

For s&g I tried to use the Safe Mode function and got the error: "Error: Request failed with status code 401."

Too true!

I must say I'm super impressed by how fast Hubitat addressed these blocking issues! My C7 hasnt even arrived yet (still stuck in an Aus Post sorting facility in Sydney) and this has been fixed! Noice! :sunglasses:

1 Like

According to this, a 401 means you need to log out and back in.

1 Like

Hi all,
thanks to the Hubitat team for cranking this out so fast! Newbie question now in the spirit of "am I doing this right?" before I go and exclude 25+ Inovelli Red series dimmers and switches off of my C-5 hub, and now on to the C-7 (with the 2.2.3 AND Z-Wave firmware update)....

I excluded one of my Red Series Dimmers (LZW31-SN) off the old hub and on to the new. Immediately after putting hub in inclusion mode and then the dimmer in to inclusion mode, on the Hubitat screen pops up a new window "The device has requested the following security keys. Click OK to grant...." and 3 defaulted with checkmarks, 1 without:

[ ] Security 2 Class 2 - Access Control
[ X ] Security 2 Class 1 - Auth.
[ X ] Security 2 Class 0 - Unauth.
[ X ] Security 0 - Unauth.

I left them as-is, as it warns not to change unless deep knowledge of Z-Wave security classes (which I do not possess!). I was expecting the next screen to have me input the 5-digit DSK. It did not. It resets the inclusion timeout back to 60 seconds and then the dimmer pops up. It Initializes and then it's done.

Related/unrelated, Last week I added about 40 Ring Alarm devices to it's hub, and every time it asked me for the 5-digit DSK before it finished adding each sensor to the Ring hub. So I was assuming the same security process would this was for the dimmers/switches. Did I do something wrong ? Should I have checked that S2 C2 - Access Control chekbox?

Meanwhile, going in to the device now, there isn't anywhere in the Current States section or Device Details "Data" section that jumps out at me that the dimmer is connected to the hub with S2 security. How can we tell if we've done this all correct?

EDIT: I have the latest Inovelli device driver code from 8/12 loaded and pointing to it in the device page, and the firmware on the dimmer itself is v1.35 (think everything after has still been considered "beta" so haven't upgraded them).

Help please and thanks!
Brian

You probably won't get them connected with S2.. These devices were failing S2 bootstrapping .. Even when tested against the Z-Wave reference platform.

Is anyone else having troubles with the Inovelli Red Series On/Off Switches? My Red Dimmers seem to pair just fine and don't lock up on initialization, but my switch is having some troubles. Thanks!

Could you elaborate? and are you using the built-in driver or one of the community drivers?

The dimmers don't get stuck on initializing, but for the switch I had to use the workaround procedure to get it to show up under devices. I am using the built-in driver to pair.

Which work around procedure?

The one in the thread about the C-7 inclusion problems on inovelli red dimmers. (Shutdown hub- unplug-replug-rediscover) Funny thing is though, S-2 did authenticate on the switch but not the dimmers.

Ok... The only time I have seen this happen, post firmware update, is when there were still a bunch of failed devices in the list. Did you clean up you failed nodes?

@bcopeland
Super noob here. What does “clean up your failed nodes” entail?

Under settings and z-wave details.. You will see nodes that have no information.. If you refresh the node it should time-out and fail the node within a few minutes, if it wasn’t failed already.. Then you can click remove and it will remove the reference to it on the network.

2 Likes

Yes I did clean them up. I may try resetting the zwave radio tonight and starting from scratch, I'm only 3 dimmers and one switch in. Or do you think trying to get S2 authenticated on everything is pointless at this point?

Yes.. it is pointless as some devices are failing against the Z-Wave reference platform.. Which at that point is the gold standard of z-wave compliance.. If it fails S2 on that then there is nothing that we can do about that.. What we are doing now is gracefully handling that failure rather than letting the nodes get locked in discovery.

3 Likes

Has anyone running 2.2.3 gotten SmartStart working? I'm not having any luck.

Here's what I did:

1. Upgraded to 2.2.3 and upgraded Z-Wave chipset
  2. Excluded all Z-wave bulbs
  3. Reset Z-Wave Radio
  4. Removed the rest of the Z-Wave devices
  5. Factory reset each of my 32 Inovelli LZW30-SN, LZW31-SN, and LZW36 switches
  6. Scanned in the DSKs for the first two LZW31-SN switches into SmartStart using my Android phone
  7. Waited 20 minutes.

What I expected is that both of the switches would be included with the names and rooms I assigned to them in SmartStart. This is not what has happened. SmartStart still lists the two switches as "not included, pending".

On the Z-Wave Details screen I have the hub (001) and one other device (006). 006 is showing the "Discover" button, status "OK", security "None", and no clusters. Just like the inclusion bug in 2.2.2 would look before clicking "Discover".

When I click "Discover", the page refreshes without any change, I get the "Discover" button back again. Same clicking on the 006's "Refresh" button. I tried each several times.

Next I tried a warm reboot on the hub. After the reboot, I could now see a "Route" column on the Z-Wave Details page, and it showed a route from 001<->006 at 100k. Clicking "Discover" then "Refresh" for 006 then finally made the clusters and device name ("Inovelli Z-Wave Smart Scene Dimmer S2") appear. However, upon examining the device, it did not pick up the device label I entered into SmartSmart, and the Z-Wave security is listed as "None", even though I told SmartStart to keep all 3 of the 4 security grants it offered, including both of the pre-checked S2 options.

Even after all of that, SmartStart on my phone still says "not included, pending" for both switches. And I still haven't seen the second switch I scanned in (same room as the hub, previously connected at 100k before radio reset). The good news is that I never had to triple-tap the switch to put it into inclusion mode, at least that part worked for the first switch.

Anyone had more luck?

Some of the devices on your list are failing S2 bootstrapping even when tested on the Z-Wave reference platform.. Those devices will not smart start

1 Like