Off-topic rant about security

How long do you wait on the Initializing step on the dicover page? I've had devices pop in up to two to three minutes after that initial Initializing message appears. Maybe try setting a four minute timer next time?

Also, when you get into the state below, how many times do you bang on the Discover, Refresh, and Repair buttons?

I ask because I've had devices in that state and had to hit the buttons (all of them!) 8 to 10 times or more before things changed and the device was discovered.

Also have found that just rebooting when a device is stuck like that sometimes allows it to complete the join process but sounds like that didn't work for you.

Just to be in the safest possible position, the next time you try to included it, I would exclude it again first. You can do that, excluding devices that aren't included is a normal action and ensures clears the Z-Wave deets on the device are cleared.

Well, that's unfortunate. It looks like this problem wasn't resolved with 2.2.4. I tried countless times to pair my FE599 to my C-7 running 2.2.3.148 without success. I finally gave up and replaced the FE599 with a Kwikset SmartCode 912, which paired right away. Your Z-Wave stick may come in handy, though, as you probably have a ghost node from the failed pairing of the Schlage.

How long do you wait on the Initializing step on the dicover page? I've had devices pop in up to two to three minutes after that initial Initializing message appears. Maybe try setting a four minute timer next time?

Also, when you get into the state below, how many times do you bang on the Discover , Refresh , and Repair buttons?

I ask because I've had devices in that state and had to hit the buttons (all of them!) 8 to 10 times or more before things changed and the device was discovered.

Ah I've done it some many times now with different variations. At least twice I've let it sit in that initializing step for between 15 minutes to a couple of hours operating on the suspicion that maybe it just needs more time. I've hit the Discover, refresh, and repair buttons while watching the z-wave log...messages come in for a few minutes then stop...then I hit the button again or tried another one like repair. Nothing appeared to be going differently, but you're saying you've had success hitting it 10+ that with devices that are stuck in initializing until it changes to an actual device? My experience has been those buttons have never done anything for me out of the 50+ devices I've added to my z-wave network...when they get stuck in initializing invariably I've had to exclude them and add them back.

Just to be in the safest possible position, the next time you try to included it, I would exclude it again first. You can do that, excluding devices that aren't included is a normal action and ensures clears the Z-Wave deets on the device are cleared.

Yup, I've been excluding it then resetting the lock every time before trying to re-include it. I've also used my old Smartthings hub to exclude as well as the USB stick.

@WindowWasher Ah that's a bummer, it's comforting to know at least that I haven't been alone in the struggle. I've checked for ghost nodes, sometimes it produces them sometimes it doesn't. I have used the USB stick to remove them when necessary

Turn off your ST hub when excluding the devices from HE. It's a "just to be sure" step that others have advocated due to ST potentially trying to join the inclusion party uninvited.

Yes, I've exlcuded ghosts/bad joins on 2.2.4 staring w/the first beta, by beating on those Discover, Remove, Refresh, Repair buttons repeatedly. Many times repeatedly. Has worked for me in all cases but one where I ended up having to kill it w/UZB+PC Controller.

Embrace the five-year old in you, the one who hits the Up and Down elevator buttons believing that will make the elevator arrive sooner. :slight_smile: In this case that five-year old mentality can be helpful.

1 Like

I don't want to sound too negative, but the problem may be with the Schlage implementation. The FE599 is an old model. All of my other Schage locks paired easily on both SmartThings and my C7.

If you finally give up, remember that the Black Friday deals are happening soon. I picked up one of my locks last year during the BF sales. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For sure! I have two of the BE469 camelot deadbolts and they work great and are paired with HE. This particular FE599 is on a gate so it needed to be a lever lock (not a deadbolt).

If I can't get it to pair I'll likely continue down the HubConnect route, which has it's own problems that I would need to solve- HubConnect Lock --> extracting unlock code used from an Event
Then if that doesn't work, I may buy another lock and spend more money :woozy_face:

C'mon...you know that's what you really want to do. [Says tiny Iwbenso character in red costume w/horns and pitchfork.]

1 Like

No doubt, I have to pick my battles these days though you know. Still have my fingers crossed that someone will step in with a magical tip to get this thing included in my hub!

For the FE599 someone took their hub within a few inches of the lock with a long patch cord and paired it that way then took the hub back to its normal location and did a repair and everything worked for them that way.

I've had to do something similar with my garage door opener.

1 Like

If you ever win a battle, the Yale locks are pretty nice. Opt for the zigbee and save yourself all the hassles of zwave.

1 Like

When I was trying to pair my FE599, I had my C-7 hub right next to the FE599. Nope, didn't pair. Tried many, many times and I even did the multiple button press dance for the discover and repair buttons on the Z-Wave details page.

For the FE599 someone took their hub within a few inches of the lock with a long patch cord and paired it that way then took the hub back to its normal location and did a repair and everything worked for them that way.

Done it both ways, bringing the hub to the lock and the lock to the hub. I think I screwed up my z-wave mesh a little bit when I brought the hub to the lock :flushed: in any case neither seemed to help it pair better. I've also varied the distance from on top of the hub, to an inch, to several feet.

Assure Lever (YRL216, YRL226, YRL236, YRL256)]

Thanks for the lock recommendation, if it comes to it I'll keep that one in mind!

The Yale locks are nice. I replaced all my BE469's with the Yale SL 256's.

2 Likes

Details? Pros of how they work? Feature differences?

Went with the Zigbee model. It paired with no issues and is around 400 to 500 ms faster response than the zwave versions. It talks to you while your programming it I guess incase you're feeling lonely or something. Easy to disable features on the device such as one touch locking and such. Batteries seem to be lasting longer also.

2 Likes

Any ideas how it might compare to Schlage Zigbee models? I was thinking they had some also--that might let me save redoing all my keys.

I didn't need to redo my keys it just loaded all the keys from Lock Code Manager and sync'd to all the new locks.

I'm meaning keys--like the ones on your grandpa's house. :slight_smile:

You can pull the lock cylinder out of pretty much any lock and re-pin it to whatever you want. The key it's self may be different between brands though. If you take the lock up to home depot they'll even rekey them for you although it's really not hard to do yourself.

Exactly--and why I was pondering what Schlage might have that could work better than what I have now.

Still. What I have now worked perfectly fine on my 10 year old ADT (iControl) Pulse system--so it would seem that they shouldn't be so troublesome on this one. Not sure what's still wrong (although I'm holding of on .142 after things seem to possibly have gone off the cliff with that release--something happened around .135ish that has gotten increasingly problematic since).