C-7 - Z-Wave inclusion/exclusion stopped working

Just be aware that more than one or 2 zooz ZSE 40's (The 4 in 1 sensors) will crap out your mesh and cause radio lock ups and you'll be right back where you started.

@jtmpush18 - Appreciate the thought... I have multiple ZEN15 and 2 ZEN20 on my network and that's it (thus far). I did read the thread that @jtmpush18 linked and it was very insightful.

My free memory looks like this (as of a couple of minutes ago)
Date/time,Free OS,Total JVM,Free JVM
2020-12-21 12:41:23,533408,236504,122156

Memory looks OK.

I'll be staying away from them for the time being. I've only got ZEN15 and ZEN20 devices at the moment - and they worked flawlessly on the C-5 - so I'm really just trying to get back to where I was before I started this whole "upgrade" affair. :wink:

I know that this is besides the point, but I'm going to share my experiences, anyway.
I have tried many Zwave multisensors. They are ALL too slow.
All of the various Zigbee sensors that I've tried beat them, HANDS DOWN (nolo contendere).
The difference is quite striking.
I've tried Adura, Eria, Iis, NYCE, Konke, Sonoff, Tuya, etc. They're all better (i.e. faster).

Another thread on this and the why's. Agnes from Zooz has chimed in as to why a couple of times. It boils down to the specifications of the z-wave 700 implementation in regards to secure pairing. This is what is causing a lot of the issues. There seems to be a way around it by using a 500 z-wave stick as a secondary controller then removing the stick after pairing so that the device will reintegrate into the mesh. Hopefully this can help you

1 Like

I appreciate the input, and will take that as good council. I've stayed with Z-Wave (so far) for the sole reason that the Zooz devices fulfill a specific use case for me. I've not seen a Zigbee power switch that offers the same functionality (and heavy-duty specs) as the ZEN15 (or the ZEN20, for that matter). If you know of one, please pass it along and I'll take a look at it!

For general light switches and smart outlets that don't require the heavy-duty capabilities that the ZEN15 provides, I would certainly consider a Zigbee alternative, but I just haven't gotten that far yet....

@rlithgow1 - I did open a support case 4 days back, but it didn't go very far. Below is the response I received and the ticket is no longer accepting new replies, so I cannot inquire as to status, resolution, next steps, timelines to next communication or anything (which is beyond frustrating in and of itself)...

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We have identified an issue with your Z-Wave Radio and the problem has been referred to our engineering team. We will get back to you with more details and resolution times, as soon as we hear back.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

I feel like I was left high/dry there as the case now bounces back additional questions and I have no idea as to what should happen or when it will happen. I got frustrated and turned to the community for help, so I appreciate the insight everyone here has provided... it's far more than HE support offered.

As for my next steps, I'll continue to rebuild the network and hope (knowing that it's not a strategy) that this "radio lockup" doesn't happen again....

That surprises me. Support is usually very good (though they've been backed up) They may have logged in a spotted the zooz issue and are actively trying to correct it.

@rlithgow1 - I had certainly hoped for more, that is for sure. Just having the ticket closed without being able to correspond with them to some kind of timeline or offer for additional help is what really frustrated me.

@bobbyD if you read this, I'm referring to case 19696. Thank you.

I have the same dreaded C7 Z-Wave inclusion stopped working issue with all my Zooz light/motion switches causing a the inclusion "Initialization" stalled (never completes after starting the Z-Wave inclusion. These same Zooz light/motion switches devices complete Z-Wave inclusion perfectly on my older C5 which I use the "Hub Mesh" to synchronize C5 Zooz device state to the C7 as a temporary work around since my Zigbee motion sensors are installed in the C7.

I have followed all suggestions like Z-Wave radio reset, C7 shutdown/power off/on, soft reset/restore with no impact. It's pretty sad to have a new C7 and cannot use Z-Wave for my Zooz devices. Luckily all my Zigbee sensors can be installed to C7 without issue.

I have requested a Hubitat support ticket, but yet to hear back to hopefully resolve.

(1) what firmware version? You donโ€™t say.

(2) have you applied the Z-Wave Radio firmware update?

(3) does your Z-Wave details page show any โ€œghostโ€ devices (devices with only โ€œin, outโ€ for clusters)? If so, you need to remove them.

Under z-wave details, are you showing any ghosts? Also do not add the zooz 4-in-1 sensors to your c7, keep them on your c-5 and use hub mesh...

No ghosts and even reset C7 zwave radio. Zooz devices cause it to hang immediately.

For now, C5 is being used for these devices with mesh to C7.

Here is what support wrote which did not apply or provide any assistance.

bobby@hubitat.com
(Hubitat Support)

Dec 29, 2020, 10:55 AM EST

Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us, we're here to help! If you didn't do so already, when the device gets "stuck" on initializing, go to Z-Wave Details page and find the newly discovered node, then click "discover" to complete the inclusion. This issue was prevalent in version 2.2.3, so if you didn't update the hub, please do so at your earliest convenience. Also, please make sure that you update the Z-Wave firmware (from Z-Wave Details page).

Best regards,

Bobby

Customer Support Services
Hubitat Inc.

Keep in mind it is possible to have ghosts that exist that do NOT show up on the details page - depending on how badly they paired. I have seen this using the secondary controller and comparing devices from both PC Z-Wave Controller SW List and the Z-Wave details page. Of course a Z-Wave Reset would certainly have taken care of that issue.

I have 2 C-7 hubs with a bunch of different Zooz toggle switches running on them with no security. Other than an annoyingly persistent ghost route or two they appear to be working okay.

edit: I have also experienced include lockout a while ago (maybe .148) cant remember but was able to do the long reboot thing and quickly pair a secondary controller after bringing back up which then allowed me to zap some troublesome ghosts.

1 Like

@erktrek - what PC software and Z-Wave controller are you using to manipulate the mesh? I've read about several options but am curious as to what you've been satisfied with. Zooz's website even mentions a software option, but since I've not gone down this path before, I'd appreciate any input you have.

Thanks for your feedback. Can you confirm that going into Z-Wave Details page while inclusion is running and clicking "discover" doesn't complete the inclusion?

I like the Z-Stick+ but have also used the UZB-7. The software is from Silicon Labs and can be downloaded and installed for free - you just need an account with them.

@danabw has an excellent write up on this!

1 Like

Can you elaborate on what model device?

@erktrek - thank you. I assume you are referring to this Aeotec controller? - Amazon.com: Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 Z-Wave Hub Z-Wave Plus USB to Create Gateway (Ordinary White): Home Improvement