C-7 and S0

Apparently not.. I’m looking into why the SDK isn’t picking up the new value

3 Likes

@bcopeland

Trying to learn the Zwave technology better. I have a switch (Inovelli) that offers S0, S2-0, S2-1 and I select all three, does that mean if I setup an association with a bulb which is S0 only, the switch will communicate with highest S2-1 with the hub and then use S0 with the bulb? I am not sure I understood some of the other comments above. Inovelli and other claim in order to have an association with a bulb that only supports S0, the switch must also and only use S0 during the inclusion process? Can you please add some clarification to this.

Also I have been told Hubitat is having issues with S0 included devices, has the latest Hubitat firmware on C-7 model fixed this issue?

I cannot speak for Bryan but after many community discussions in which he and other staff participated the following seems likely:

• S0 is an older security protocol it is not recommended to use it unless needed for "border" devices like locks. The reason for this is it is very "chatty" and can potentially bog down communications with the hub. This is true for all versions of the hub not just the C-7.

• The HE firmware is fine for S0 edit: there may be some issues with some devices!!! - One of the big issues though is the 700 Series spec requires S0 capable devices be paired as S0 and not unauthenticated not with "no security". The only way to pair those devices with no security at this point is to use a "secondary controller".

• There do appear to be some issues with the current HE firmware and certain newer S2 devices and S2 authentication. Whether these require device firmware updates or HE updates or both remains to be seen.

In general pairing with no authentication security seems to be the best way to go for now - this is only my take though others may have different opinions.

4 Likes

I think you mean to say "pairing with no security" as the best way to go, as opposed to saying pairing with "no authentication" or "unauthenticated" which are terms used for S2 Unauthenticated pairing. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Good catch! Edited my post to reflect reality for once.. :crazy_face:

5 Likes