C-5 Z Wave Plus

If you include and use it plugged in to a wall adapter it will act as a repeater with beaming.

Z-Wave Protocol Implementation Conformance Statement
MultiSensor 6

Another reason to pair it within 2 feet of the hub is when it pairs it uses a low power whisper for security during the pairing process. Once you're done pairing you can put it where you want. Put one beaming repeater as close as you can to the lock and one near hubitat and you'll be fine. I recommend the Ring v2 extender.

4 Likes

Don't think these work with a C5.
I have a couple V1's on my C5 that sort of work, power detection is iffy with the HE driver.

2 Likes

It will pair and work as an extender. What does not work with the C5 (no S2 security) is the power reporting (mains vs battery).

5 Likes

Ahh, it's been a while, I had a V2 that I sent back and then found a couple V1's that are now working with @dennypage's driver.

1 Like

Hopfully my last question of the day. But my lock that already works. Should i be sending that to a beaming repeater too for better performance? Or should I just leave it as is because its working.

I'd still put a repeater by it....

2 Likes

Adding a repeater wouldn't hurt, but it unlikely your lock will find a new path to the hub if it is already communicating well with the hub.

1 Like

Oh so I don’t need to assign it to a repeater? I plug these things in and the locks will just take the best path?

No, and in fact you cannot assign routes or repeaters to end devices. In theory, the network figures it out by itself.

2 Likes

And FLIRS devices don’t even have a full map of the network.

So if it is working with just the C-5, adding a repeater for that lock won’t help unless it is re-paired.

2 Likes

should I start with one repeater? Everyone keeps suggesting two. One near the hub the other near the lock. But it’s not that far of a distance. Should I start with one to save money or is there a necessary reason for two?

1 Like

You can try one nearest the lock to start... See how it does...

1 Like

So I finally brought the hub close to the new lock and I was able to pair it just fine. So now both locks show up in hubitat. However the delay is very random. It will unlock sometimes after 1 second and sometimes after 30 seconds, and sometimes the logs will just say error. Is this because I don't yet have the repeaters?

Yes.

If you put the hub close to one lock, put a repeater about half-way between the hub and the other lock. You may have to exclude/re-include the lock for it to route through the repeater.

3 Likes

i have the hub about 4 feet from my new lock right now. And it was working fine. Now it works like every 10th try. huge delay and sometimes it just gives error in log. Shouldn't at least the close lock work with no issues without a repeater?

Let's see your z-wave details page

Is this the page you mean?

Based on that though you really should have a repeater. 2 devices don't really make a mesh. As @aaiyar get a repeater in there, then re pair the lock to force it to go through the repeater.

1 Like

I think I’m gonna try centralizing the hub. I have about 30 feet between the two locks so in the end I would like to put the hub about 15 feet in between both. And then get two of those ring extenders that was recommended and put one a couple feet from each lock. . If I do it this way should I get a third repeater to put near the hub for the first hop towards each lock? Or is that not necessary? Based on this answer I’m gonna stop bugging everybody and report back once I’ve tried this. Thanks again for the help