C-4 Hub is Pingable But Cannot Connect via Diagnostic Tool

This is not a major issue in my setup, so no rush to resolve it....

I am able to ping my original C-4 from the command line on my Windows PC using the IP address, but cannot connect to it via the mobile app on my phone, using the MAC address listed in my router. The hub is currently displaying a blue light, which from memory is a good sign. I believe I am running the latest publicly available platform version, but can dig back through Hub Info results in Grafana if necessary.

Any thoughts.... Happy to pull the plug and get it going again, but thought it best to do the right thing and potentially uncover issues that others may experience.

Issue has not really gone away, seem to ramp up the temperature and stops responding relatively quickly. Tried reducing the number of LAN / Cloud-based apps and drivers, but may not have been enough. I will try reducing these some more over the weekend....

So is the only issue the mobile app, or are you not able to get the UI to respond through the browser either?

Both are inaccessible...

The HE App -> Registered Hubs -> Connect to Hub (for the affected hub) -> Connection Refused....

Chrome Browser on my Windows 10 Laptop -> Enter the IP Address of my HE Hub - > Connection Refused....

The temperature logged in InfluxDB via the Hub Info device seems to be recording an even more elevated temperature, 83C earlier tonight before losing comm's...

I did try removing some of the LAN and cloud Apps and Devices to try and reduce the load and likelihood of it happening again, but no joy.

I had some brief success with doing to soft reset process, but it relatively quickly returned to a similar state. I'll turn it off and probably try doing an upgrade to the most recent Beta version over the weekend.

If nothing else it will at least make me move the final list of less critical integrations off this dev hub to my other C-7's that don't appear to be affected.

Wonder if the 2.3.3.x database change may be an issue..

It still seems to be showing the right version, i.e. the latest 2.3.3.140 version...

Ah... Why wait... let's give the latest Beta version a try.... what have I got to lose... They're practically giving C-7's away :wink: (I know, I know.... I'm not expecting to need to replace the hub....)

1 Like

Annoyingly during the update the hub entered the same "connection refused state".... Sounds like a weekend job... :frowning: Definitely sounds like an anomalie given the lack of chat around the issue, which is promising.

Happy to leave the hub turned on if anyone wants to look at the engineering logs... well not anyone... obviously only those trained professionals we know and trust...

Maybe @gopher.ny or @bobbyD will have a minute to look at the logs...

1 Like

That would be great... If they're keen I'll PM them and they can look at it on they're Friday afternoon.... i.e. when I can be here to keep it up and available.

@bobbyD or @gopher.ny - any chance you guys could take a look at this issue? I restart my C-4 hub and can access the UI temporarily, but then quite quickly (a minute or two) the hub is unreachable via the web or the HE app. Weirdly it shows as Active on the hub details in the HE mobile app.

I might try another network cable in the meantime.

Flakey power supply?

Maybe... I wouldn't rule it out... Actually, that was the other thought I had last night, I might also try repositioning it... maybe there's some kind of interference.

Whatever it is, it is quite consistent.... So it does seem odd to be consistently responding to PING but failing on the UI and mobile App.

I'll try the cable first and then change it's location. I don't have an alternate power supply option as far as I know (my C-4 is a gun-barrel connection, not USB).

Neither a different ethernet cable, nor slight change in the position changed things.... :frowning:

To recap:
Hub / Platform : C-4 / 2.3.3.140

I can still ping the hub from a CMD prompt on my Windows Laptop, using both the reserved IP address in my router and the domain name configured in DNSMasq on my rpi.

I can access the hub via the diagnostic tool in the HE mobile app using the MAC address for the hub, even when I am unable to access the hub through the web UI or mobile app. The diagnostic tool has allowed me to reboot / shutdown the hub when needed.

I think this started earlier in the week. Since then I have tried performing a soft-reset, which worked, in the send that everything came back up, briefly.

Apps on the hub like Maker API instances that report events to InfluxDB on my RPI also only report brielfy.

Some of this does feel like a network issue, but an unsure how to diagnose it. I will quickly test plugging the HE hub directly into my router, rather than the switch it is currently connected to.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.