Button Push with Variables

TL;DR It appears that a Button Push in RM4 won't take a variable as its button number. Is that correct? If so, is there a workaround?

I have a 15-button device (virtual, of course) that I originally setup to drive a set of related actions from a dashboard. I now would like to expose the same behavior through speech via Alexa. Alexa doesn't support buttons, so I was thinking of using a dimmer or even a few switches strung together logically as a binary number, and then passing along that value to the button device. It works great in every respect, except I don't know how to push a virtual button with a GV as button number.

Appreciate any input.

I use a virtual switch with auto-turn off at 1500 ms to communicate back from Alexa, in order to cause actions such as mode/scene change, etc. Alexa can handle switches exposed from Hubitat.

Instead of using RMā€™s Button push or held action, try using a Custom Action to call the virtual button deviceā€™s push() or hold() command, as you should be able to pass in an argument to those commands this way.

Here is an example. However, replace the ā€œ15ā€ with your variable.

2 Likes

Absolutely brilliant and elegant workaround. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Appreciate the thought, but that only works if you are driving a single or binary action. For a 15-button device, it would require at least 4 switches and a bunch of math to make it work.