Button Device Disappears From Trigger Menu

Hi Bruce! I noticed that the Button Device is disappearing from the trigger drop-down menu. To create, First create a new rule, name it as usual. Then, select the Trigger Events dropdown and you should see something like this (notice "Button Device" is in the list of options:

Then remove focus from the drop-down by selecting outside the box (i.e. don't make a selection) and you should then see this:

Then select the drop-down again and note that the "Button Device" is no longer in the list. I've scrolled to the bottom to confirm. I've also seen this when trying to edit an existing rule:

1 Like

@bravenel

I am seeing the same issue. I’m running version: 2.1.6.118

1 Like

I will look into it. However, it is worth noting that Button Device does disappear intentionally from the list if any other trigger is selected, as it must be the only trigger when it is selected.

Ah! The reasoning makes sense! Is it intended that it reappears if editing an existing rule and you've deleted all existing triggers? If only you could figure out how to get me to set this up right the first time.

"Button Device" is a special thing, not to be confused with "Button". "Button Device", when selected, brings up a special UI to define actions for possibly all of the buttons and pushed/held/released/double-tapped events on a multi-button button device. "Button" allows actions for a single button event.

I understand that... :slight_smile: Learned it the hard way. I won't even tell you the story of where I've been when working with these two triggers. Reminds me that pain can be the best teacher :smiley:

A small change has been made to RM so that "Button Device" appears and disappears as it should. It should only be on the list when there are no Trigger Events at all. Once it is selected, the special UI comes into play. Next release.

3 Likes

Hey Bruce, just wanted to share my feedback on this topic after spending a half hour searching to figure out why I couldn't see "Button Device".

I initially selected "Button" as capability, then tried to edit this trigger to change the capability to "Button Device". After some struggling, I realized an Event Trigger Capability is not an editable parameter, but all other parameters are. Combined with "Button Device" not appearing when attempting to create a new Event Trigger prior to deleting the first one, for reasons explained above, I could not intuitively figure my way through the interface.

Not sure that there are any drawbacks to this structure, and I am sure it all logically jives, but for a new user this is a bit confusing with "Button" and "Button Controller" behaving fundamentally different but not always appearing together to help figure things. The OP is from about a year ago, and this thread was linked from another with the same issue, so I am clearly not the first newcomer to puzzle over it prior to finding the answer.

The forums are a great source of information, but for something with as simple of an explanation like this, maybe a note or tool tip could avoid a lot of searching around for us noobs. The general feedback on RM seems to be that the best way to figure it is by playing around with it, but it doesn't seem so naturally intuitive, so perhaps tool tips in general throughout the app could lessen the learning curve? Just some thoughts from fresh eyes :slight_smile:

Yeah, I'm not happy with how this works at all. We plan to change it in the not distant future. Ideally, there will be another child app of Rule Machine for this embedded button controller functionality, instead of shoe-horning it into a trigger like that.

2 Likes

Please don’t delay the 2.2.4 release to get it in there.

Oh, no worries -- won't be in 2.2.4. Maybe 2.2.5, maybe later...

1 Like

Makes sense, thanks for the response.