Button Controller Version 1.6

The ā€”- is for Button Controller, the 1.0 is the parent. Install one then youā€™ll see the version number. You have 1.5. We will fix the patent version number to remove the confusion.

@bravenel, is it possible to add the capability to trigger a RM Action in button controller? I have several actions set up to be called by multiple rules and buttons. I have created rules for the buttons but it would be nice to be able to contain everything under Button Controller.

This idea has floated around from the beginning. It is currently not supported, but I'm going to take another look at adding it.

1 Like

Done. This will be in the next release.

1 Like

Great, thanks Bruce! You guys really do a great job!

This feature is now available in Button Controller. You can run rules, rule actions, set Private Boolean, etc.

2 Likes

Already playing with it.

Thanks Bruce!

1 Like

@bravenel

Is there any chance we could get a toggle option for locks in button controller and RM

I will look at it. Makes some amount of sense.

1 Like

What is the difference between Rule Machine and Button Controller. Why would i use one or the other?

Button Controller is specifically for setting up multiple buttons of one device in one app. Rule Machine can also use buttons of a button device as a trigger event. They both have similar actions available to run upon the button event. With Rule Machine, you'd end up with one trigger for each button. If you had a 5 button Pico and wanted to use it as a 10 button device, that would take 10 triggers in Rule Machine, or could be done with a single instance of Button Controller.

1 Like

Good clarification, thank you. I am now using Button Controller for my new Samsung (SmartThings) Zigbee Buttons. Eliminated several RM rules and simplified things.

@bravenel, I'm setting up a new button controller. I am able to select a Rule to run the action but when the button is pushed it wont run the action (Tried multiple rules). The logs show the button being pushed, other actions associated with it are being run. Other button controllers that run Rule Actions are still working. I've tried to press the button from the device page and received the same results. I am running 1.1.6.116.

Please show me two things; the apps details for the button controller app that doesn't work, and the appId number of the rule that won't run. You can find that by opening the rule and looking at the url in your browser, it's a number, looks like this:

192.168.0.36/installedapp/configure/8440

The rule number is 47 (192.168.1.128/installedapp/configure/47)

Could you show me a screenshot of the apps detail page for Rule Machine, the parent app.

Argh, neither of those allow me to see why it's not working.

I'm going to have to create something similar and see what's up...

Sorry Bruce... Thanks for looking at it, it is greatly appreciated.

Iā€™m trying to add functionality to the Iris pendant. I canā€™t seem to get it to trigger any actions through this. Is there something Iā€™m looking over?