Button Controller not working / slow

Has something happened to button controller since last update?
None of my mulit-button devices work correctly; either the response is very slow, or nothing happens at all.
Logs all show that the button command went through.
Any ideas? Thoughts?

Most likely has nothing at all to do with Button Controller. If you have Z-Wave devices being controlled, a messed up Z-Wave mesh would be the most obvious possible culprit.

It is something to do with Button Controller.
My C-7 still runs 2.3.1.142
First of all- Button Controller GUI is extremely slow which is very annoying.
Second - once in a while and for unknown reason button rules become
unresponsive. Log clearly shows Button activity but rule(s) are not triggering.
The fix is - delete failed rule and create it from scratch.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion. But, some specific evidence such as screenshots of specific Button Rules that fail, logs of them failing, etc, would make it easier to find out what is actually going on.

Meanwhile, there is a new version of both Button Controller and Button Rule in beta testing, for release 2.3.3. Both have new UIs that are not slow at all. These releases work with existing instances as they are, with no steps to update the apps once 2.3.3 is installed.

2 Likes

I know you are always looking for the hard evidence for failure such as logs, etc.
But what if there is no such sings?
As I mentioned, once in a while button rule simply stops working without any
reason and evidence. Thai is/was a reason I was quiet and did not report anything.
When this happens the only fix is to delete a failing rule and rebuild it from scratch.
To simplify this effort I converted all my Button Rules to the triggerless RM rules.
Button Controller simply runs the RM rules as a subroutines.
Why I am still using Button Controller in this case?
Because this way I can easy see what each button does in one place.

Thanks for the info on new Button Controller UI.

There is no such thing only because you are unwilling to provide it. Screenshots of Button Rules that fail (before you delete them), getting past logs at the time of the failure, etc, are all within your abilities. Even capturing logs of a second attempt for the button after it fails before you delete it. If you don't want to take basic diagnostic steps to find the problems you have, then how can anyone help you?

I am ALWAYS willing to provide all evidence and everything what I can IF I can get it.
But for some reason you are refusing to accept a fact that not every case/failure produces
logs, etc. Knowing this I am/was silent if I could not provide things you are looking for.
Very good example is this Button Controller random failure I mentioned above.
Once this was happening (gladly not very often, but definitely more than once to think
about) I tried to turn on all logs everywhere. Behavior was 100% reproducible.
But boom, Device reports an activity but correspondent rule simply not triggering
and therefore there was not producing any logs at all.
What I was missing here?
How screen shot of a rule can help in this case?
And there was absolutely no related logs recorded.
I am always wiling to take diagnostics steps (and I did believe it or not).
But since I could not provide any hard evidence other than description in a plain text,
I did not report this phenomena but rather was looking for reasonable workaround(s).

This is exactly what I am talking about. The information about the rule not being triggered when it should be, the evidence of the device event that should have triggered it, and screenshots of the rule and its Event Subscriptions.

Plain text descriptions are pretty much not helpful at all. "Something didn't work right so I deleted the rule and started over". You're an engineer, right? Provide what there is, allow us a chance to at least see the evidence that exists.

Yes, I am very experienced EE.
And "yes", over 40+ years of designing and debugging complex HW (FPGAs)
I had many cases when failure happened but did not show any evidence at all.
And I had to deal with just plain explanations and accept them as an input
to think about what it could be. Yes, this was/is not very informative but at
least something.
BTW, when bug is easy reproducible and produces many related evidences
is very easy to fix unlike bugs which simply happens without any traces.
Go figure out what is/was going on?

OK, next time if something similar happens I will try to provide you as much info as
possible and will contact you before I will delete and/or modify something.

Sign up for the 2.3.3 beta. So many improvements in Button Controller, Rule Machine, Room Lighting, should have been at least 2.3.4. One improvement with a vague description is "Updated database engine".

I've had buttons and rules get messed up enough to delete/rebuild. If I had a systematic problem with rules/buttons that worked well previously I'd first try out a soft reset before the rebuilding process.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Button Controller slow UI in some areas