Button app retired? Did I miss something?

I was just adding a device to my Button app and was greeted by "Button App retired use Rule Machine 4". Which update was that retired? I must be losing it lolo

You use RM to setup button functions now. I'm pretty sure that was retired in 2.1.5.

If you mean the "Button Controller" app, then yes. However, you can still use and edit existing apps.

The replacement is Rule Machine 4.0 with a "Button Device" trigger. If you've never used Rule Machine, don't be scared--once you do that, you'll see the old Button Controller 3 interface appear. The difference is that now you get access to a few more things that only Rule Machine had before (e.g., local variables), and Hubitat doesn't have to maintain two nearly identical codebases. Do not choose "Button" as a trigger (unless you know what you're doing)--that will provide a different experience more in line with "regular" Rule Machine but also makes it generally harder to configure button devices with multiple capabilities.

Believe it or not , I had more trouble with "Button Device" then "Button" When I chose "Button device" I kept getting "required field missing" All I wanted was an emergency button to turn off sirens for my wife when she goes ballistic if the alarm triggered for some unknown reason lolo.

If you only have a single button with one action (or want to do the same thing for lots of different button event types) the Button trigger is pretty easy to use, and you get the familiar RM editor if you're familiar with that. Where people get into trouble is with the single Actions section and multiple triggers in the same rule for buttons that can do multiple things ("is this 2 held or 3 pushed?").

Either can work when used in the appropriate circumstances. Glad you got something figured out!

1 Like

Yep, got the Rule 4 Button to work perfectly. It will save my marriage hahaha. I like Rule 4 much better than previous versions and appreciated your guidance .
As always GREAT community!
Tony

1 Like