Building a Solid Z-Wave Mesh

What's S0

Z-Wave Security Level 0 (old and slow)

Have you tried the bulbs with the C7 @Ronv42?

Not yet, but I was looking a for some RGB lighting for another project and these were on my short list. Maybe @Eric_Inovelli can provide some feedback.

1 Like

discouraging. //

Hence, I feel your pain @ronv42 ....

I have a C5 (for legacy devices, noisy sensor devices that C7 cannot accomodate, select apps) and a C7 (for Z-Wave Plus, Zigbee, Apps, etc)...

I was hoping to consolidate from one ST Hub to my HE/C7 and power off the C5, but now I have a redundant HE environment & Network Mesh replicates device status where needed...

My C7's Z-Wave radio has been temperamental but getting better...

The compatibility list was updated to indicate they are not compatible with Model C-7

Ok thanks....

That makes me wonder if Hubitat devs have any intention of allowing "old and slow" devices for future hardware/software releases.

Sounds like a money suck if not.

I purchased my bulbs less than a year ago.

That would be great.

This has nothing to do with the devs. The 700 chipset doesn't support not using security that was an option with the 500 series. Manufacturers were able to decided if they wanted to include security. With 700 series, security is enforced. There's not a way to get around it in the hub.

There's a trick the community has found, but it's not something anyone should expect Hubitat to offer support for it doesn't work right.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. ))

I had 5 of them on my C7 for a short while and had major Z-Wave issues that got better after I moved them (and other problematic devices) off to my C5.

1 Like

I ran in to an incompatibility issue with a schlage lock on my new C-7. I just re-attached it to my old C-5 and meshed it with the new C-7. Works better than before now.

I have 10 of these bulbs working on a C7. I'm actually impressed with how fast and responsive they are. I have them paired no security, so I'm not sure what others are talking about when they say they can't be paired with no security. Maybe a different bulb? but I think they only made just this bulb. I thought i might have trouble with them when I was including them, closest one is about 100' away from the hub and it doesn't even use repeaters when I was testing them, when i first included them. On off lighting quick color change the same. I'm hoping they get more in stock soon. I think I did upgrade the firmware and was using the inovelli driver on the C5 I'm using built in driver on the C7 atm. Who knows maybe I got lucky with all 10

Turning on and off and changing colors, if they are considered old and slow I'll buy them all!! Discount Old & Slow

Yeah, we need to update the page for clarity -- they worked great on the C5. I have the C7 at my house and for the most part they work great, but for some reason my schedules never seem to work with them and I haven't been able to figure it out (not user error either as Eric M also has the same problems).

Here's an example of them in my bedroom along with the new lightstrip:

My overall setup is as follows:

• 2x bulbs in my bedroom = work great using Z-Wave Scenes (ie: double-tap, triple-tap, etc)
  • 4x bulbs in my family room = spotty with Z-Wave Scenes (sometimes they turn on, sometimes they don't -- sometimes one turns on, sometimes three turn on, etc)
  • 3x bulbs outside = about a 5% success rate with scheduling (ie: I have them turning on 60min prior to sunset and turning off 60min prior to sunrise) -- I've had to setup multiple schedules as a backup, but even then, they don't seem to turn on all the time (same problem, only one, two or all of them turn on -- hit or miss)

But, Associations work perfect -- almost instantaneous. Trick is you'll have to pair the switches at S0, which unfortunately clogs the network if you have a lot of them, so I only reserve the Associated switches for S0.

We're trying to build some alternative firmware, but we're finding out that there's just not enough room on the bulbs 500 Series firmware to accommodate S2 (even if we removed S0) -- that's why there's no S2 bulbs out there currently. As for 700 Series bulbs, there's a special chip designed specifically for lightbulbs, but the minimum order quantity is 1MM, which is insane given we sold maybe 10k tops last year lol.

I know.... my C5 worked perfect. Not sure what changed tbh. nm, looks like @SmartHomePrimer cleared it up! Thanks :slight_smile:

So the bulbs have to be paired in SO? Or just switches if you want to control from a switch?

Great question -- the bulbs can only be paired in S0 as they unfortunately do not have S2 and the C7 requires you to choose a security option (so since S0 is the only option, it defaults to S0).

The switches have the option to include with S0 and/or S2, but for the association tool to work, you have to have the same level of security, so you can't pair the switches as S2 and will have to select S0 as well to match security levels.

Hope that helps?

Hmm that's weird because my bulbs showed paired with no security on the C7.

That is weird -- ok, let me take a peek when I'm home! I've been known to be wrong :slight_smile:

1 Like