Build 702, "Fast Pico driver"

I gave up on just trying to get it to work.

But the problem with "smooth dimming", is its never actually smooth, since we see light proportionatly. Dimming it by a percentage of the total will appear to speed up, and brightening will seem to slow down. So, although I won't complain about it :smile:, but I hope to be able to control the math (through webcore).

I'm trying to use WebCoRe to handle my Pico remotes, but when a button is pushed, it never sees a release, so pushing On then Off has the lights blink. Any way around this? I've tried both Fast and press+held drivers.

The "release" event will become supported in the next update. It's not there now.

You sure you want to mess with core?

The automatic level comp on my tablet messes with the video a bit, but I think you get the point,

7 Likes

Looks great, Mike!

Looking forward to it!

But to answer your question, I will be using webcore to change the remote's behavior depending on time (so I get dim light when getting a drink at 2am). With dimming, I'd prefer to handle it through webcore, but for a really nit-picky reason. Dimming should progressive. We can't tell the difference between 95% and 100%, but we can very much tell the difference between 5% and 10%. Dimming lights should be done based on proportion of current brightness, rather than the overall total. That would be a nice option to have in the button controller app.

Working on an app to make the Pico act like the Hue Dimmer switch (color temp cycling)...so if there is something special I need to do to support dimming (right now it's ugly) please let me know!

@mike.maxwell - Any idea when the next firmware will be released? I too would like to use my Picos as smooth dimming controls, as shown in your video above.

Patience! Coming very soon.

3 Likes

The capabilities for this are integrated into all the stock drivers and button controllers, however updates to Button Controller wont be out in the next release, so in the interim you'll have to be creative to make use of them. We will provide some notes etc after the release is out.

3 Likes

I know you've promised notes, but I'd love a teaser hint on how to do this :smile:

I would like the control and flexibility that WebCoRe provides, such as when the On button is pushed, the lights turn on at a lower level after a certain time. However, WebCoRe still doesn't see a button push end. Any way to achieve it in WebCoRe? Otherwise, to avoid (for instance) having to dim after turning it on, would the only other option be writing my own custom App?

None of the released capabilities or driver updates are going to help with this requirement.
I guess someone needs to fix webcores button code right?

Thanks,

But it would work as expected in an (custom) App, assuming I can muster the programming skill to hack it together?

I'm not sure what you're after, are you referring to the hold to dim videos I made?, or the time based level setting you referred to above...

Here's what I want:

1. The hold to dim....,

2. "On" button turn on to levels (and color temperature) based on time, and

3. Multiple presses of the Pico center button cycling a ceiling fan (Off -> High -> Medium -> Low -> Off -> [repeat]).

So far as I can tell, the Button Controller app can't accomplish at least two of these. So, short of fixing WebCoRe, that would leave building a custom App. And an App would "see" the discrete button presses, unlike what I see with WebCoRe?

Yeah, no stock rule app is going to do that gracefully...
The hold to dim requires using the releasable capability, which as of this time none of the stock apps support yet.

This wouldn't be a complicated app to write, and if this is your first don't take on dynamic pages, you wouldn't need them for this app.

I've sort of done an app before. I should be able to manage, but it was a pain in the butt. I'll include the basics of "Select Pico", "Select Device(s) for Button 1", etc., but I'll just build in the logic for the rules without options - hard code times and levels and such.

Thanks much.

How many different time modes would you need?
If it's just a few, you could configure multiple instances of the button controller app, each with it's own time restriction. Now if you have multiple locations with multiple time modes, I can see this being a problem.

The first can be done with Rule Machine trigger.

The second one can be done with with either Button Controller or Rule Machine, but the order would be the reverse, i.e., Off -> Low -> Medium -> High -> Off -> [repeat]. This works for fan controllers that present a dimmer capability.

I only need two or three times, but I have will have over 25 Pico and Caseta switches, and would rather have all the settings for each in one place. I think a custom app is the way I need to go.