Bug Reporting Where?

I have seen a number of posts asking for the best/proper/efficient way to file bug reports but have not seen a real answer describing the proper bug reporting protocol or staff's preferred methods.

I also see posts with topic names that include a bracketed [BUG REPORT] in the title (and perhaps a bug ticket # or maybe OS release version?). Surely there's something more formal than that... Is flagging a post with the "optional" bug (x118) tag enough to create an official bug report?

Not really. [BUG REPORT] and the name of the App or Device will usually get the attention it needs. Also useful to tag certain people if you know who to tag. For most apps, that's me, for Zigbee related, it's @mike.maxwell, for Z-Wave related it's @bcopeland, and for general hub issues it's @gopher.ny. If lost needing help, lot's of people will volunteer to help, and @bobbyD can help out with most issues.

10 Likes

@bravenel OK, thanks for the guidance! Was hesitant to employ what might be considered gratuitous tagging but I'll be pinging y'all when I encounter something that appears to be in your bailiwick, eg my recent RM5 issue...

Yeah loads of places have it in their rules "do not tag the devs". I still feel nervous doing so :smiley:

2 Likes

There’s also the @support_team tag to call attention to an issue if you’re uncertain which staff member should see it.

Although occasionally even they have their own issues to sort through first, so please be patient :slight_smile::

3 Likes

For bug hunting enthusiasts, I would also recommend joining our beta program. It is open to everyone to sign up, and the program is closer tied to our internal bug tracking protocols.

6 Likes

I'm a little too gun shy to be experimenting with beta releases but if that Beta Testers group is appropriate for bug reporting on issues with official releases then I'd be game to sign up.

1 Like

Usually once whatever beta is released as the stable version, the beta forum goes dormant till the next one