Bug? Motion Lighting App does not reset state after reconfig (disable button)

I was trying to figure out if the "Button to disable turning on" feature was useful to me and if it was a toggle (since the text of the option under it is slightly different, saying on/off.

I didn't find it useful after playing so I removed it from my config but then the lights would not turn on by motion and the logs said "disabled by button". I went back to the config, re-enabled and then removed the button number from the field below, saved. re-removed the selection and saved again. Still the same.

I eventually fixed it by using the option below to create an enable button temporarily, enabled the action, removed this option and now I am back and working.

Would I be right in thinking the app should clear/reset the state of these options if they are removed?

(Noob here, couldn't find a similar report with search, just learning HE)

1 Like

I set it up to revert after 2 hours. I used this feature to appease my wife during evening TV watching, while not having to stumble into the kitchen in the dark late at night.

This does sound like a problem. Tagging @bravenel

Not really. Keeping track of the settings an app has, so as to take some action when one is removed, is a much more involved thing than you might imagine. Not saying it couldn't be done, just that it's not simple. I'm not sure how much time it took to set up the instance of Motion Lighting that gave you a problem, but I'd guess a lot less time than you spent tracking down this problem. My advice is this: if an instance of an app is misbehaving (by whatever definition), remove it, start over.

I will put this on the list for possible attention in the future. Another possibility would be a Reset button in the app UI that puts all settings to their initial state.

1 Like

Thanks. It's more the confusion that it caused for a while as at first it was simply the lights not coming on...

Yes, I understand. That's why the logging is there -- at least it will tell you why it's not turning something on or off.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.