Broken PEQ Motion Sensor

So, I have dropped a PEQ motion sensor like 50 times, and this last time has disabled the motion sensor. Took it apart, no obvious damage (solder joints), so I presume something is just busted inside the motion detector: bummer.

So, I had a spare, replaced it, but now I have what is effectively a big temperature sensor (and tamper detector, I suppose). I've repurposed it by ziptying it to my water main to warn me if it's ever close to freezing (a problem I've had before).

My question: what is the best way to ensure this motion sensor doesn't show up as a motion sensor for automations? I bet at some point, the device will randomly send out a motion report (with my luck) and set off something that uses "all motion sensors", especially since during my diagnostics, it randomly did it once. I'd like to remove the capability from that device, so when picking "motion", it's not an option.

The other option is to source the sensor and replace it, but with no visible model numbers, it doesn't seem like that's realistic.

What happens if you change the device driver to "Generic zigbee temperature sensor" (and then hit configure on the device page)?

If it still shows/updates temperature, then that's one simple solution.

3 Likes

Hmmm, I don't see a "generic zigbee temperature sensor" option, but I like the idea of just using a device that is only temperature capable. I'll have to see if one of the manufacturer specific ones works.

1 Like

You're right. Just realized I'm using a custom driver for my Konke temperature/humidity sensors.

Ok, so no built-in handler that is "just temperature" works. Is there a way to extract the Hubitat default handler for a "generic zigbee motion sensor" and modify it so temperature (and tamper, maybe) are the only capabilities exposed? I can do the modifications, probably, but not sure how to get the base driver to start from.

You could try the “Generic Zigbee Contact Sensor” as it reports temperature as well. And it shouldn’t accidentally trigger a contact sensor event. Hopefully it will still report temperature.

As for extracting Hubitat!s driver code? That’s a no-go. You could try porting a ST DTH to Hubitat, and removing the Motion Capability from it.

3 Likes

You could also try the “SmartThings Humidity Sensor” as it supports temperature as well.

3 Likes

So, contact sensor also doesn't seem to work; tried putting my finger on the temp sensor to force it to update, but nothing happens. If I change back to the motion driver, it updates like normal again.

I am going to try porting an ST driver. Thanks.

In case you missed this one...

I apologize for being pedantic, but did you push Configure after changing drivers?

Yeah, using a device with different capabilities might resolve the "random motion might happen" issue, but then I have the same situation where I have a humidity sensor that shows up.

Coincidentally, I'd have loved this device to have a humidity sensor also; that would have worked well :).

Maybe not? I was sure I did, but now it's working as a contact sensor. So, random motion events look to be impossible now, but now I have a contact sensor that shows up in potential automations.

Less annoying, so I'm Ok with this for now. I am going to try and source the motion sensor and fix this thing I think. Looks like the sensor is a Panasonic, and looks to be pretty easy to source off Mouser/Digikey/etc. I wanted to get a ZWave USB stick for updating firmware anyways, so this is as good an excuse as any :).

1 Like

In case you missed it, @bcopeland has written a zwave firmware updater for Hubitat that eliminates the need for a USB zwave stick.

3 Likes

I did miss that; thank you! This is amazing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.