Bring back reboot URL

I'm not certain the reason it was removed. We're consistently told, unplugging the hub is bad. But if the UI isn't accessible, and we don't want to downgrade the firmware, what other option do we have? Why remove the option to soft boot the hub while telling us to not hard boot it?

I'd very much like to request that feature be put back.

1 Like

The only reboot option I am aware of is in settings menu which is still there. I did ask for them to add it to http://IP:8081 but that never happened did it?

1 Like

When was this removed. I know they changed it from a GET request to a POST request (you can't just pop the url into a webpage) but it has worked for me. Haven't tried recently though.

I wasn't aware it is still there as a post.
All I know is I can't pop it into the browser anymore.

I will try postman, next time I need to do this. Though, why do that? That's not consumer friendly. There's a page for downgrading of firmware, why not put a button for reboot? All that change does is make it more difficult to do it, maybe that was the point?

There was another thread about security concerns etc where this was explained in detail. I can't find it but this one has a bit of discussion

It's been a POST for quite some time. If you use android and Tasker I can share what I use to reboot the hub.
I just tested it and it still works.

3 Likes

You may already know this, but when you start typing a url into your browser address bar in chrome, it will give you suggestions to complete. So if you've accessed the reboot url in your browser in the past, it will give you that as one of the suggestions to auto complete. In addition, chrome (and perhaps other browsers) want to make your browsing experience faster, so it goes out and requests those urls that it is suggesting in the background so if you do choose one of them, it will load instantly. I'm sure you can see where this is going.. your hub will reboot even though you had not opened that url, it was just a suggestion in the address bar. For this reason we changed it to a post. You can still click reboot on the setting page.

4 Likes

How about a button to reboot the hub on the :8081 page? The 8081 web page always seems to survive a lockup. Having a way to reboot the hub via a GUI seems like a nice to have feature when things get hung. Just an idea...

1 Like

Yeah, already in the works, reboot and shutdown from that url.

14 Likes

Awesome! Thanks!

@CAL.hub
See the tasker info below. It's much simpler if you don't have user accounts setup on your HE hub

NO user admin:

If you have user admin setup, see the post below:

Add user authentication to the Update Tool

And my modification to the task @gparra shared here:
Add user authentication to the Update Tool

1 Like

Ya, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. I totally get the URL not being an endpoint, rather a page.
Thanks @chuck.schwer

Perhaps a watchdog from the 8081 server might not hurt. Though having a bunch of welcome home messages in the middle of the night could be an unpleasant surprise!

Addendum to above .. perhaps have a reboot option displayed on the 8081 server only if the 8081 server detects that the main server is not responding, same check to be performed if actually pressed.

That would prevent malicious reboots, but still make it available in times of crisis?

Add in plenty of checks and limitations or people will use it to auto-reboot on hang (even though that's not a terrible idea)

I have a dual hub setup, one is designated as "devices" and another as "software". Each hub connected to power through a smart switch, that is registered on ANOTHER hub, so each hub can reboot another by turning off / on another hub's power switch.

For now I only reboot "software" hub on a schedule, works like a charm.

It is not recommended to restart the hubs by cutting power. You could corrupt your hubs database. This method is good however if your hub is completely locked up.

You can follow @stephackโ€™s example in the thread below and create a rule in RM that will restart your hub. Here are a few screenshots Stephen posted as examples:

Hi! Does this still work for you? I can't get it to work on my platform... Thank you.

This URL will work for reboot as long as you don't have a username/password setup:

http://he.ip.addr:8080/hub/reboot

If you have a username/password setup for your hub, you can always reboot remotely from another computer using a script like this one:

#!/bin/bash
#
he_login=your_he_login
he_passwd=your_he_passwd
he_ipaddr=he_ip_address
cookiefile=`/bin/mktemp`
#
curl -k -c $cookiefile -d username=$he_login -d password=$he_passwd https://$he_ipaddr/login
curl -k -sb $cookiefile -X POST https://$he_ipaddr/hub/reboot
1 Like

You cannot do this with a GET message (from a browser). It must be a POST message.

1 Like

POST to http://<hubitat>:8080/hub/reboot no longer seems to work for me in 2.1.7.121. Has anyone else had an issue with this in the latest platform update?

You need your hub's IP in there.