"Bright Switch" Z-Wave Dimmer w/ 5" Screen

After 4 years, I finally got these Z-Wave devices (the joys of crowdfunding). So far they seem pretty nice. A little bigger than I pictured and I question their choice of storage and version of Android, but whatever.

I've tried to pair them with Hubitat, and they don't seem to be discovered correctly. Although, If I plug the Z-Wave controller into my PC and use "PC Controller" the device seems to join just fine. It includes as a "multi-channel" device. From my pc I can control it with BasicSet commands. When I control it manually it responds with BasicSet reports and some Multi-channel reports.

Nothing ever shows up in the "Discover Devices" screen in Hubitat although the switch does respond saying it has joined as node "x". After waiting quite a bit, I can go into the Z-Wave info page and I see the new node. Hitting "Discover" brings it into my devices list. From that point I can assign a Generic Z-Wave Dimmer driver to it and control it, but I never get any reports back. No reports when controlling it manually either.

If I include it into SmartThings it shows up as a multi-channel device. I assign the Dimmer device handler to it and it works properly. Reports are also received in SmartThings when controlling the device manually.

So, it seems like the Z-Wave controller in Hubitat works fine with the device when connected to my home PC, but something isn't recognized correctly with the Hubitat software. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and nothing from the device ever shows up in the logs.

1 Like

Look again: it actually joined to your PC system as a "subsystem controller" (ID 002) with a "multilevel Switch" as an endpoint on that controller (ID 002.1).

The reports are, to put it mildly, weird. You can see how long they took to bring this thing to market. Before we look at what it actually does, let's look at what a device developed today probably would do.

Here's the association table for the Fibaro Double Switch 2. Notice how the dimmer reports are separate from the lifeline:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2751/assoc?noFilename=True

Now here's the BrightSwitch:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2347/assoc?noFilename=True

It's using the Lifeline group to send the multilevel report as well, like a zwave Classic device might.

Here's how the user manual explains it:

https://www.getbrightswitch.com/userguide

Brightswitch as a Z-Wave Device
Brightswitch is a multi-channel Sub-Static Controller. Bright supports 1 channel of Generic Z-Wave type: GENERIC_TYPE_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL and Specific type: SPECIFIC_TYPE_POWER_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL.
Supported Command Classes: CC Switch Multilevel
This means Brightswitch has two channels - Root Device and Channel 1. One that allows it to be controlled as a dimming light switch, and one that presents it as a controller.
.^
Bright sends Switch Multilevel Report command, when a local light is changed

They're saying it has two channels, but it doesn't. It's a multichannel device with one endpoint. If you address it at the Device level, you get the controller. If you address it at the .1 endpoint you get the dimmer. But both report through the Lifeline association group.

Anyway, I'm not sure where the hubitat communications are getting tripped up, but since it's an unusual configuration I thought I'd mention it.

@mike.maxwell

3 Likes

Yeah, it definitely is unique. I saw that it was included as a controller, but given the nature of the device, it wasn't that strange to me. It can actually act as its own controller. Similar to several other Z-Wave devices (such as some remotes - Aeon Mini-mote in particular).

I did think it was strange that it included as a multi-channel device. Then I thought that perhaps they intended to expose the motion sensor, temperature sensor, or some other components to the Z-Wave network. In that case, multi-channel makes sense.

As far as the Lifeline group, most devices use this group to send Basic reports, multi level reports, etc. to the main controller (even new devices). Actually, all devices that I can think of do this. Even the Fibaro Double Switch 2 sends these reports via Lifeline for the root node of the device.

I'm also not sure what is tripping it up. It is unique, but it is controlled via BasicSet to the root node and responds with BasicReport. It is multi-channel, but doesn't require that functionality to work.

Here is some log data from when the device is included as well as when I play with adjusting the dimmer from the device itself.

Also, I'm not sure if it's related, but you do have one ghost Device from a failed pairing. See the following:

Could also be used as a wall mounted dashboard?

Resurrection of an old thread here, but has anyone every tried to do anything with these? The product seems to be discontinued. After such a long wait, I was not particularly impressed with them unfortunately. Since these are android based, I was curious if anyone ever tried to Improve them in any way. I have a bunch of them unopened, and would love to hear of any purpose for them.