Bricked Wink as a Lutron Bridge?

Hey all, Wink refugee here. Please grant me some leeway, my HE is still in the mail, so I have plenty of dumb questions. I’m just realizing that unlike Wink, HE (and apparently every other hub but a defunct staples one?) needs a bridge to talk to Caseta lights. Is that correct? Any chance the Wink could be jail broken to do the job? (Clearly by someone smarter than me).

I'd love to be wrong in this BUT.. I'd say no, not in our lifetime. Certainly not on the timeline you'd be favorable to. :slight_smile: I thought the same about my old StaplesConnect (D-Link) hub...

4 Likes

Unfortunately no. Hubitat needs a Lutron Caseta Pro bridge, or a RadioRA2/RA select repeater to interface with Lutron devices. It uses a telnet connection that those Lutron bridges offer.

2 Likes

Thanks. A follow up if you don’t mind; I have two Casetas and their Pico remotes. Looks like I can get a third pair and the hub for maybe $80. Any thoughts on whether that’s good money after bad (ie ditch them now for z-wave), or bite the bullet and get the bridge?

The why's and how's.

1 Like

Make sure that deal includes the Caseta Pro Bridge (part number L-BDGPRO2-WH). The regular Caseta bridge does not integrate with Hubitat (it doesn't have the telnet interface Hubitat needs)

3 Likes

Thank you! I almost certainly would have made that mistake.

1 Like

Thank you

This is the cheapest that I've seen recently:

If you need a smart bridge pro and another dimmer, this would be a decent deal:

1 Like

The extra dimmer and Pico does make it feel a little more palatable. Pretty attached to the Lutron, as the Pico made a faux three-way setup for both my living room and dinning room, both of which have two entrances but only one wired switch.

1 Like

All the lighting inside my house is Lutron Caseta. I really like it. Fast, reliable.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ll probably end up keeping them, but still feeling the burn from the HE price hike, haha.

1 Like

It is what it is. This sure isn't a cheap "hobby". FWIW, I paid that much ($129) for my first Hubitat (early 2019) and $75 for the second one in August 2019.

But my house is so different than it was with Wink. I literally have almost no need to touch light switches any more. And about the only interaction I have with Alexa (vis-a-vis the home) is to say "Goodnight", which sets off an automation.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m looking forward to it. I’ll forget the price as soon as it gets here, speaking of which

Alexa, where’s my stuff?

Friggen covid, messing up my 2 day shipping!

2 Likes