Brazil 🇧🇷 Zigbee hardware sources?

Are there any sources for zigbee hardware in Brazil? Specifically interested in hardwired dimmer switches and temp sensors.

Tagging @maffpt - he would know for sure. My best guess is that AliExpress and Gearbest would be the best sources .....

2 Likes

Hi there!

Yes, there are.

You can buy directly from China using Banggood or AliExpress. If the cost of your purchase plus shipping is less than 50 USD, you don't pay import taxes. This is the cheapest and with a vast variety of devices you can buy. The drawback is the time it takes to your delivery: 3 to 4 months, at least.

Another option is using mercadolivre.com.br. There you may find virtually all the devices you may want, with some value on top of the Chinese sellers, but with the advantage of fast delivery. However, be careful! Some international sellers use this platform too - so, pay attention to the tag that informs that the item is an international sale, otherwise you'll get the same delivery time as buying from China.

Hope it helps!

PS Thanks @aaiyar to tag me to help our friend @jared.zimmerman

4 Likes

Is there a compatible wall dimmer you’ve used fo reference?

@jared.zimmerman, all my light fixtures, lamps, dimmers and so on are Phillips. So, I can't suggest you another brand, since I don't have.

Let me ask you something: why Zigbee?

Marco

I’d read that zwave frequencies were different (US - BRL) but that zigbee was the same, so thinking about future compatibility. Is that not accurate?

Zigbee uses the same frequency all around the world - no compatibilities issues with it.

Z-Wave is another story - a mess! Different frequencies everywhere.

So, to avoid incompatibilities stick with Zigbee.

Marco

my thoughts exactly, when looking on Banggood, AliExpress, or mercadolivre, (other than voltage), what is the name of the formfactor you search for in order to find things compatible with the Brasilian physical specifications for a wall dimmer (e.g. junction box style)

In Brazil we have, basically, two form factors for boxes where we can install switches, outlets, etc: 4x2 and 4x4 (inches).

Like this 4x2:
8fb0f7f7ddb0c8cabbb75e2ed3df5c1a

and this 4x4:

You can find the specifications of these boxes (and more) here - in Portuguese. This is a good manufacturer and you can find their products in almost every hardware store. Probably you'll have to check the products' specifications you're looking for against of the boxes.

One important point that I'd like to alert you is that you should keep the number of different manufactures of your smart devices as low as possible. Otherwise you'll risk having compatibilities and integrations problems.

May I ask you what exactly are you planning to do at your home? Voice assistant integration? Since you are here at Hubitat's forum, you probably will integrate it with Hubitat's hub, isn't it?

Marco

Our primary home in the US is Hubitat + Google Assistant with a mixture of z-wave and zigbee devices.

We might be considering a second home in SP at some point in the new year, possibly with a down-to-the studs remodel. So I wanted to start doing research on what would make the most sense there, given difference in RF standards, device availability, etc. since it might make sense to do simpler setup than we have here, I was even considering just going all in with Hue, but I just can't handle the battery operated hue remotes as the only way to integrate with the system, so I was hoping to have hard-wired switches that might be directly compatible with Hue, or via Hubitat. Plus I just know their will be systems I'd like to have smart (or at least semi-smart) like blinds that just won't be part of Hue's system in the foreseeable future.

Well, since you are in the US I strongly recommend using Hue wherever you can. It's expensive compared with other brands, but I can assure you, it works fine, their after sales support is excellent and for me it has a great value. You can bring your devices from the US if your apartment has 127 V power - the US standard is 110 V, but the devices work fine here, I assure you.

About the battery operated Hue dimmer/switch - I had two of these at my apartment in Rio de Janeiro and I can testify that their battery lasts a long time. I've used mine for 4 years with the original batteries and they worked flawlessly. The lamps, bought in the US, worked all this time without any issue - that's why I can assure you that US 110 V devices work fine with our 127 V power. I sold the lamps and the Hue hub here since the lamps were not bivolt and no use to me in Europe - I'll talk about it later in this text.

But if you really don't like the dimmer/switch, you can try switches manufactured by other brands that carry the "Friends of Hue" label. Maybe there is one that uses no batteries.

If you need some ZWave devices, you can bring them from the US too, and use it here without any problem. Ok, there are regulations about which frequency you should use for ZWave here but, I can tell you, just ignore it. Yes, ignore it - rest assured that nobody will disturb you with it.

Interesting you talking about total remodelling of your apartment here - that's exactly what I'm doing in my apartment in Portugal. Since I'm planning to work as a home automation integrator there, I've planned to use my own apartment as a laboratory/showroom - better live the automation at home and make it easier to sell it to clients, don't you think?

For example of how far I've gone at automation, at my apartment in Portugal I have only 2 hard-wired switches: one for cutting the power to all Hue lights and another to the lights over the bathroom sink. That's all. Everywhere I'll use or sensors or Hue dimmer/switches. This way I could simplify the all new electrical circuitry and I can add/remove/move switches as I much as I want/need.

So, bring your devices from the US, including your Hubitat Elevation hub. It will be cheaper.

Hope it helped.

Marco

2 Likes

Thank's that is helpful, the avoidance of the original hue dimmers is more aesthetics (they are ugly) and not having duplicate switches for each set of fixtures, the dumb one that if you turn it off everything breaks, and the smart one next to it that looks bad. :wink:

Well, since aesthetics plays a major role, I've just discovered a new Hue switch: Hue Smart Button.

Ok, it will not win a design contest, but it is an option.

Marco

better...ish? but still need a dimmer.

@jared.zimmerman, as we've PM talked, you can use any compatible Zigbee dimmer that you can buy at the US and bring to Brazil. Just check the dimensions of our 4x2 and 4x4 wall boxes against the specs of the dimmer.

Marco

Thank you! Yes good advice. I can certainly try that.

A post was split to a new topic: Buying Hubitat from Brazil