Brain teaser

Hi, I have a request from The Mrs. to have the option to turn off the beeper for the door sensors on demand via our sharptools dashboard. I know this is a rule machine execution, I just cant figure out how to do it. Essentially I want to toggle on and off our door beepers in the event we have a very busy day of in and out of the house. Anyone have an idea how to proceed?

Are your door beepers done in Rule Machine? If yes, create a virtual switch called something like "Mute Door Beepers." Then add a required expression to your beepers rule that "switch Mute Door Beepers must be OFF." Expose the switch on your dashboard and you should be done.

1 Like

Hi, Yes I have them in simple rules right now to beep when doors XXX are opened. I have the virtual button created. Do I need to delete the simple rule and build in Rule Machine? I cant figure out the sequence.

No, you don't need to recreate the rules in rule machine.

Since these are in the basic rules app, i would create one new rule in Rule Machine that "pauses" your beeper rule(s).

Trigger: Mute Switch changes

Actions:
IF Mute Switch ON, pause rules.
ELSE, resume rules.
END-IF

Thank you for the steps. I cannot figure out the else statement. This is where I am.

It looks like you created the pause action as a "simple conditional action." These are a special case of conditional action with only expression to evaluate and one action to (possibly) execute. This rule requires the "IF Expression THEN" action type. That will allow you to insert an ELSE and the resume rules action.

Hi, I have updated it and used the else. Does this look correct?

Looks correct to me. Testing will confirm if it's doing what you want it to do.

Hi, This was great! thank you for your help!

2 Likes

You also could have imported your basic rule into rule machine. It give you this option when you open the main rule machine app.

The idea of this is for people who don't know, they can start off in basic rules and if they find something like this that they need to expand it you can import it and it will do the same rule but under RM.

Then you just add the extra.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.