Bought a 2 IRIS motion sensors from eBa y (New)-MOTION Detection not working

Got one setup and was going to test it with my recently purchased Peanut Plug.
It was discovered immediately, used the generic Zigbee motion sensor.
It reports temp but not motion... at least rarely... even if I'm sitting in front of it waving my arms.
Current Status:

• battery : 99
  • humidity : 34
  • motion : inactive
  • temperature : 67.10
    looking at the log about an hour ago it did report motion.

What am I missing?
thanks guys
Ken

1 Like

You're probably not missing anything, but I'm not sure why it wouldn't be reporting motion. If you switched the driver to the Generic Zigbee Motion driver youself, try hitting the "Configure" button on the device page to see if that helps. For that matter, even if you didn't change the driver, try it and see if it helps. :slight_smile: You might also try re-pairing the sensor--no need to delete it from Hubitat, just reset it (hold the side button as you put in the battery, then release) and put Hubitat back into Zigbee discovery mode, which should find and re-initialize the device.

Your batteries look pretty new, but it wouldn't hurt to try a different one. With some sensors you might also need to give them a break for a bit before they'll report an active/inactive event (e.g., if it's active when paired, you'll need to wait for the timeout period for it to report inactive and then active again), but I doubt that this is your problem. Still, if you haven't tried leaving it alone for a couple minutes (their reset time is usually a bit under a minute), it can't hurt.

If none of that works, perhaps you have a dead sensor. :man_shrugging:

OK, starting to figure out a part of the problem.
Turns out I have a 2nd IRIS zigbee motion sensor and that's the one that was used in my routine. It's located in a different room so of course it was not detecting motion. I went back to back in examined my device list and the new motion sensor was not listed!!! I reset it and attempted to re-discover it. It discovers it quickly but appears to be stuck in the Initializing phase. Any ideas on how to get past that. Now that I know this is the 2nd such sensor and that I have 15 devices, I'll do a better job of recoginizing when/If the new sensor is every successfully added.
thanks again.
Ken

should I try the other zigbee option: Iris V1 Zigbee rather then just Zigbee device when discovering it??

Is it far from your hub? Do you have any repeaters? Most powered devices are repeaters, like smart plugs light bulbs. But if you have bulbs, be careful--most are bad repeaters (for non-bulbs) and can cause problems.

Regardless of distance, if you don't have any repeaters, adding at least one will probably be helpful at some point (and necessary if you have more than 32 non-repeating Zigbee devices). You could test this by trying to pair closer to the hub. That isn't a good practice in general since if it can't pair though the mesh (or lack thereof), it probably won't work in place, either. If you have bulbs, you could try un-powering them during pairing, but again that's not a long-term solution since Zigbee devices are always reevaluating routes.

Just some ideas!

1 Like

Don't use V1, entirely different.

Of the 10 I got from ebay, one of them didn't work. Perpetually stuck active. Re-inserting the battery put it into demo (disco) mode.

The title of this thread says you bought 2, to clarify did you try the 2nd sensor?

Turns out I had to use IRIS Z1 Zigbee and that worked for me. I probably need to start keeping a notebook to capture some of these details in the event I need to set things up again.
thanks guys.

Or provide the model number, along with the quantity of the sensors so accurate information can be provided.
:+1:t3:

2 Likes

I assumed you bought the v2 sensors readily available on eBay, model 3326-L or 3326-L2 (or Lowe's part number 690402). These, as well as the v3 sensor, model iL07_1, are standard Zigbee and must be paired as such. If your sensors look like the images/links in this post (or how I remember: generally bigger and uglier, or manufactured by AlertMe rather than Centralite or iMagic if you can find that info easily), then you have v1 and must pair them as such.

If you're certain you have a v1 sensor, then you followed the correct steps for pairing. I probably should have asked for more details; since you did get it to pair with "regular" Zigbee, I assumed it was a v2 (readily available on eBay, but all generations are now discontinued).

3 Likes

Stuck initializing is usually a mesh/range issue.

I've gotten this when at the fringes of either Zigbee or Z-Wave.

1 Like