Boomers, Geezers & Layabouts

I just sold my 2003 325 Ci with over 200k miles (I bought it with 8k) a few months ago. The coupe was difficult with 1 car seat in back but we just had kid #2. Practicality took over so I am no proud driver of a Camry. :cry: :cry:

Some TRS-80 Model 1 ("Trash 80s") work in school.. and Vic-20 (6502 / 4K) at home for fun.. Yay basic and assembly programming.. block moves and graphic string packing (Z80) / Redefining char set bitmaps for the win (6502) and also stealing cassette buffer space for more memory..

2 Likes

Apple II w/Tape Recorder and then a Kaypro...

"Differences Between C-5 and C-7?"

• You can buy a C-5 today, and you can't buy a C-7... :smile:

Also.... What happened to the C-6? My guess: it exploded too frequently, and the liability for customer burn and disability was too high. :exploding_head::fire::fire_engine::fire_extinguisher:

4 Likes

I think the consensus is that the C-6 ran on a 386 :wink:

It’s the microsoft approach ie windows 8 to windows 10 :rofl:

I'm waiting for the PDP-11 version of Hubitat. Forget this surface mount garbage, give me some wire wrap I can fix myself. :smiley:

The newspaper here was still using a bunch of PDP-11s up until about 2000 for the business office and classifieds (newsroom had converted to Macs). When the business and classifieds were finally migrated to PC the PDP-11s were shipped off to another newspaper that needed spares.

2 Likes

Can't wait for Hubitat ME.

My favorite was Windows CE or WinCE. It certainly made a lot of people wince. :wink:

3 Likes

Flip-Chips.

PDPs (8s and 11s) ran a lot of typesetting and publishing businesses back in the day.

I could have swore Windows 7, 8, 9. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Yeah, Atex was pretty much the way to go. When we moved from static HTML to dynamic content (Oracle) my first project was capturing the day's stories and converting them a form we could use. I had to figure out what all the typographic codes were and what they meant and then convert them plain text and HTML tags.

It was just crazy that as late as 2000 those systems were being crated up and shipped off to be used by another paper.

1 Like

DEC had a group called "Traditional Products" that supported the PDP11 (as well as the PDP8) long after those systems were EOL. I interviewed over at USA Today when they first opened - they were using Atex. I thought it was very cool compared to what we were running which was a combination of a lot of home grown code with some Datalogics functions we licensed.

Wow... this thread has been impressively derailed. :grin:

5 Likes

True. We need two new Lounge categories - a) Movers & Shakers; and b) Boomers, Geezers & Layabouts - for the rest of us.

5 Likes

@bravenel :grin:

2 Likes

@gbrown
Stole my thunder! Thank you @bravenel :joy:

1 Like

I'm not as ancient as you folks. My first foray was a Commodore 128D, but didn't get into programming till much later.

1 Like

I did my first programming on a TI 99/4a

1 Like

Saw this title and realized I fit one of those. Then realized I fit all three. Scary. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

I would often play with Mathematica on the NeXT Cube we had at our PC shop, when I was a PC tech. It was light years ahead of PCs.

1 Like