Boomers, Geezers & Layabouts

I hope there are more cpu and ram resources on the c7. I replaced a Vera Plus, which despite everything bad, responded very very quickly when an automation was triggered. The c5 isn't bad, but ~1-2s is a lot more noticeable than almost instantaneous. My doorbell button rule takes a couple of seconds to respond, so people press it a bunch of times.

1 Like

I had a boss who would say "hardware is the solution lazy developers throw at a problem."

2 Likes

Lol. Not everyone know who Sun Microsystems are !!

3 Likes

My boss on the slot machine project wanted the developer's boxes to be close in power to the slot computer. That way when they were running locally they would get a better feel for the performance of the product. I speced new computers for everybody and it was rejected by corporate. It seems we had a "standard" build for all engineers. instead of a $2000 system we were forced to buy a $5500 system. So much for trying to save some money. :wink:

Back in the late 90s we upgraded our web server to two Sun E-250s and one E-450. Each programmer had a Sun Ray thin client connected into the big servers. It actually worked quite well and was quite a bit cheaper than having a dedicated desktop.

1 Like

Ha! I wrote most of my doctoral thesis on a NeXT Cube. And it was printed on a NeXT laser. Here's the kicker, when I started my graduate work, I shared a close to original PC with several others. I remember "upgrading" it to 512K RAM :rofl:

Edit - I remember being really excited when EGA monitors became available. Huge upgrade from MGA or CGA (wealthy snobs!). Compared to all that, Display Postscript on the NeXT was just amazing.

4 Likes

Hahaha you are the first person I have ever encountered to work on a NeXT. Steve Jobs in a classic moment.

Well my first pc was a 286/12 with a whopping 1Mbyte of ram. A huge upgrade from my commodore. I squeezed all the ram I could out of the first 640k using qram. And yes I had a Hercules card that gave me 16 shades of orange!!

I did my thesis (degree only - no doctorate here) on a 8088 with two 5.25 floppies. We had 20 sun machines in one lab ... rewriting pieces of the scheduler for lab assignments.

Ah, the days ...

2 Likes

Sometimes, I miss those days. Life was simpler ...... also, I could fix my own car :rofl:

P.S. Maybe the most comforting thing about Hubitat (outside of it being a great automation platform), is that I can relate age & experience-wise to a whole bunch of the fantastic folk on this community board.

6 Likes

I still do all my car repairs but you are right, it’s not as easy as it used to be.

I had my 2003 325i until it was 14 years old and my wife complained I was spending too much time in the garage. I told her it was a hobby.

Now I have a 2014 228i (bought 3 yrs ago) and we will see if the trend keeps going.

2 Likes

I know you mean 328i, but that is NICE vehicle!

1 Like

Yikes! Too many memories with this hardware. Before putting in 450's, we had some 1000e servers that caused a bit of grief. One of my best memories was an OS bug that would leave a process stuck in the process stack while it was awaiting an interrupt. Processes "chosen" for this purgatory were at random. Most of the time it took out a database process, but other times the server would become unreachable. Hop on the console and everything was magically better. (Keyboard or mouse interrupts caused the process to leave its purgatory.) Prior to an OS patch, our after-hours fix involved taping a pager to the mouse. I actually had to use it once...got the 2AM phone call, hopped online, messaged the pager, and 5 seconds later the server reappeared. I was in tears that the low-tech fix worked. We even put a barrier around the mouse so the pager wouldn't vibrate the thing off of the desk. Good times.

5 Likes

I worked in the mathematics dept at a major university in the 1990s. We had an old Apollo, a whole lab of NeXT machines (including a Cube) that people wouldn't give up unless you killed them first, some Sparc 20s, and a whole lot of Linux machines.

The NeXT machines were awesome... For those that don't know, NeXT was the basis for OSX when Jobs went back to Apple.

2 Likes

True. Albeit different architecture - 680x0 vs PowerPC. The first time I saw a NeXT Cube (Case Western Reserve campus bookstore - back then in Thwing Center), I would have given my left hand for $10K (or $9.9K - that was the list price in the bookstore). Monochrome monitor, without the printer. The color monitors came with the NeXT Slabs (pizza boxes). And memory says the printers were about $4K - they were also 400 dpi vs 300 dpi that Apple/HP had at the time.

Edit: I forgot - optical mouse!

1 Like

+1 for working on a NeXT -- loved the Megapixel display, much better than the VT100s connected to our Vax 11/750s & 11/780 (or being forced to work on the Teletype if all the video terminals were in use).

You're all really showing your ages :wink:

I recently got a Sanyo MBC-675 portable computer that was dad's college laptop for college, it even came with a dot matrix printer. I'm determined to find a use for it in an ad we make this year. These old machines sure are fun to take a look back at.

1 Like

Neato! For first year Physics (the Optics section) our "team project" was to write a BASIC program to do some refractive index calculations. We used the desktop version of that portable Sanyo. I think it was called the 575 or 775.

1 Like

I also used to do 680x0 assembly programming. I still have all my manuals.

3 Likes

Oh man.. Hercules. There is a memory I forgot about.

2 Likes

This does somwhat remind me of Basic09.

I'm not a programmer and not so old than you guys, I started with 386 35mhz and lotus 123

2 Likes