BigTalker2 - musicPlayer mode test

I need someone that has experience with code testing/debugging, reviewing logs and reporting results in detail to assist with testing BigTalker2 on Hubitat in musicPlayer mode (This means you must have a device with the musicPlayer capabiliity such as Sonos, etc).

Yes, the BigTalker code is now very close to Hubitat release. It's working in speechSynthesis mode, but I need to test musicPlayer mode and try to work out issues; I only have VLCThing to test with musicPlayer mode and it's not working quite right on this platform. I need to see if it's BigTalker2 or VLCThing interaction with Hubitat that's the issue and if I can resolve it.

I can try to help you. I have Samsung speaker.

Thanks. I'll publish the code on Github in a little while and send a PM

@rayzurbock I would like to help also.

1 Like

Thanks. I've sent you a PM to join in testing.

With @murzik 's help we've made great progress. I think the Hubitat release will be within days if no major issues arise.

1 Like

Any chance of getting a copy? Now that I'm migrating from SamsungThings, I would like to have this feature again!

The BigTalker2 parent and child code is here:
https://github.com/rayzurbock/BigTalker2/tree/Hubitat-Dev/smartapps/rayzurbock 1 1

Be advised it is not working with the Hubitat Sonos driver. The driver does not implement playTrackAndRestore, playTrackAndResume, playTextAndRestore, playTextAndResume functions.

In your Hubitat portal, go to Apps Code > New App and paste in the parent code, save and then repeat for the child app code.

Then go to Apps > Load New App > Scroll toward the bottom to find BigTalker2 and click it.
Click Configure
Leave the On/Off switch ON for Music Player mode
Select your musicPlayer device and any settings you wish (Those with * are required). Please enable debug logging if you need to report an issue and provide the logs (you can toggle this on/off on the Bigtalker2 Configure Defaults page).

Once settings are saved go back into BigTalker2 on the Apps page and start out with a quick Talk Now test.
Launch the Talk Now page
Right click on Logs in the left column and choose open in new tab
Then fill in at least the "Speak Phrase" and "Talk with these text-to-speech devices". Once both of these are configured it should speak (check the logs tab for errors). Anytime you change either the "Speak Phrase" or text-to-speech devices it should speak.
If that works, click Done on the Talk Now page.

Add an event group
Name the group, select your event options / phrases and save all the way out of the app.
Test
Check the logs tab for errors

Both of these commands are now supported in the sonos driver

2 Likes

Ah. Cool, thanks @mike.maxwell and Hubitat team!

@rayzurbock I try using this again and really like the big talker but the problem that I'm having is any of the %weather% that I use throw a error? What should I do to overcome this? Thanks for your help.

I do not have a BigTalker solution for this in Hubitat. Weather isn't implemented into the platform the same way it is in ST. There are community drivers (Apix I think is one) but currently BigTalker can't use them.

@rayzurbock thanks I will work with it as I do like the program and if get it solve will let you know. Thanks for all you do.

@rayzurbock would it be possible to implement a trigger that only announces if a contact has been open for more than x minutes?

A pull request was submitted about a month ago based off of the master branch of BT2 (not the Hubitat port) by Jaime Botero. I started to implement it but had some questions that need to be answered/resolved before I can implement it.