Beyond Frustrated with C8 Migration

The other thing to note is that I can't find any low memory or hub load warnings during those times so it looks like the radio is simply crashing out for some reason. Could it be faulty hardware?

Depends on how you define “faulty hardware”. The C-8 has a new Zigbee Chip (3.0) that will enable the C-8 to support Matter and Thread down the road, and the Zigbee protocol stack is different, too (for the same reason).

In my opinion, it’s just growing pains with new technology. Many moving parts, coupled with, at least in my case, a painless migration from C-7. Admittedly, I only have 2 Zigbee devices (innr plugs used as repeaters in case I get any Zigbee devices). Everything else is Z-Wave.

Manual migration from C-5 to C-7 was painful, and us C-7 early adopters were in pain because of ghost devices. The C-8 introduction seems much better, and Z-Wave response is now instantaneous.

2 Likes

Its just not possible to test the thousands of devices that we have added support for since the first hub was released 5 plus years ago. Move what you can to the c8 and hub mesh in the remainder from your old hub.

5 Likes

The C8 uses a new radio (Zigbee 3.0) but two other changes were implemented. One was the addition of antennas. The other was a default increase in power from 8 to 16. The result is that many devices that may have been connected through repeaters are now attempting to connect directly with the hub. Because of the way Zigbee is designed, it is best for mains powered devices serving as repeaters to connect directly with the hub and then have the battery powered sensors connecting through repeaters.

I found that my Zigbee mesh was far more stable when I reduced the Zigbee radio power to 12. I understand some have even dropped it back to 8. Since reducing the power, I have found that my Zigbee devices are quite well behaved.

I have also upgraded to the most recent firmware, which is 2.3.5.125. Many improvements to Zigbee have been introduced in these firmware updates.

The only two Zigbee devices that I was unsuccessful pairing are a Aqara leak sensor and Aqara vibration sensor. These are non-standard devices are are not guaranteed to work with Hubitat, although they did work with the C7 hub. After the firmware settles down, I will try to pair the Aqara devices again. If they work, great. If not, I won't be disappointed as I knew there was a risk when purchasing them..

Unlike Zigbee, the Z-wave 800 radio connects nearly all of my Z-wave devices directly with the hub. Only two go through range extenders.This has made the Z-wave mesh far more stable than it was on C7.

5 Likes

I get that, but the V1 devices were a pretty specific subset.

I bought the C8 so I could get rid of the other hub and only have one device hub. I wanted to move the C7 hub down to my shop and replace the C5.

Happy to hear that z-wave response was 'instantaneous' after migration C7-C8. In my case none of my Zwave devices were migrated, the zwave decice list is empty. Any clue ?

Have you tried shutting down, then removing power (pulling the plug), then applying power and allowing to reboot? That’s the only way to reboot the Z-Wave radio,.

Or, perhaps the migration was bad, wipe the C-8 as if selling to someone else, then make new migration cloud backup, do migration again.

I just followed the instructions and everything worked perfectly. Fifteen minutes. Done. My iBlinds even started working as instructed every single time for some unknown reason. Maybe I need to update the firmware on all of my devices or something. Spooky.

By "Z-Wave Device list" I assume you mean the Z-Wave Details page? So completely empty, as in nothing on that page but the headers?

Did you migrate Zigbee and your apps successfullly, or ?

After you try the shut down/reboot suggested by @672southmain, if your Z-Wave devices are still all missing, you will probably need to re-do your migration, following the steps below:

1 Like

Thanks danabw,

I assume I skipped something somewhere, so I redid everything following the detailed guide and everything works now perfectly. Thanks for your help !

4 Likes

Thanks 672..,

I tried again and probably did it right now and everyting is OK, now. Even Zigbee is working OK

2 Likes

Sadly, I'm not perfect either. Like when I left the sugar out of a dish I was making the other day? Wife says "This tastes terrible." I say "It does not...(tastes it)...damn, you're right, it's awful."

Oh, oh, just remembered when I made a key lime pie, got it to the point where I was putting it into the fridge to firm up, and realized I had forgotten to put in any of the required butter. Had to scoop out the filling from the pie crust, heat it up again on the double boiler, add the butter and combine, cool down enough to put back into the crust and then back into the fridge. Happened at the family cottage in front of pretty much all of my cousins, aunt, father, etc. "The pie incident" is still a topic of discussion whenever I offer to make dessert.

:wink:

Glad you're up and running!

4 Likes

And we come to this guy for guidance on Habitat technical issues.... :rofl: I'll have large slice of your next culinary creation my good man...

1 Like

It’s the bread. That’s where he shines.

2 Likes

And the associated jam.

4 Likes

Are you sure you don’t have a sideline business supplying props for Sci-fi horror movies :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.