[Beta] Wink Relay - LAN Integration

I did try it out, but it's been a really long time. (I'm talking before SharpTools dashboards were even publicly released)

I had the same idea that I would run my dashboards on the Wink Relay, but I just found that the Wink Relays were just a bit too unstable for my liking. I ended up replacing the Wink Relay with a 10" wall mounted tablet (here's a relevant post from further up in this thread).

That is what I have done in 2 spots. Bought refurbished iPad minis and wall mounted them. Oh well, the Wink Relays will continue to collect dust!

1 Like

Well this is awkard.

After I got that first one working, I wanted to convert my other 5 relays.

I have one that will not reset no matter what I do.

Wipe data, reset factory image.

It just goes to the normal screen and boots and connects to my wifi and pretends like I didn't ask it to reset.

Any ideas?

Can I use that sideload from an ADB option? Got any other ways to force this to reset?

It sounds like it could be similar to what happened to one of my Wink Relays. I call it the "Groundhog Day" effect. I would factory reset the thing, but as soon as it would boot up, it was like nothing ever changed and it was back to how it was the day before. :open_mouth:

I never figured out how to fix it.

Sounds like what is happening to me.

I got 4 more to convert.

Hope this is the only.

For anyone interested.....I created a post outlining how to get the two light loads, i.e. top and bottom, to function independently within the Dashboard.

Didn't want to hijack the post with another tutoria of a separate topic.

OK you are officially creeping me out because this is what I came back here to read this entire thread for before asking and VOILA!

HA! I've been meaning to post it, just now got around to it.

Hello. I'm just in the process of trying to switch over from Wink to Hubitat, and I really like the functionality that my Relays give me (even though they're terribly underpowered and, as a result, not terribly stable). I have rooted my first Relay and installed the STWinkRelay app on it, and I installed the app code and driver code on my hub, but when I go to install the app on my hub and discover my relay, I can't get that process to succeed. I can see it find the Relay, and I can pick it in the listing that opens up, but the discovery process will not let me then click on the "Done" button. After a random period of 0.5 - 2 seconds from when I select my Relay, the drop-down list resets back to "Click to set" and I can never complete the discovery and app addition process. Am I missing something really stupid and simple here?

Thanks.

• James

I vaguely recall this happening and I just clicked through really quickly after selecting the device to get it to work.

I think the discovery code probably needs to be updated to have a separate screen for discovery and a separate screen for device selection based on the way Hubitat works. That being said, I don't use my Wink Relays anymore... but if someone else wants to tweak the code, I'm happy to accept a PR for it! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I did look at your code, find the spot where it calls for the discovery screen autorefreshes itself, and slow that way down. Unfortunately, when I did that I still didn't have any better luck. Selecting the device does nothing but just select the device until the next refresh. Selecting the device and hitting the "Done" button also does nothing but select the device until the next refresh. It seems like there isn't anything there that causes any action once I select the device. And, just barely getting started with this, I don't know enough about coding for Hubitat to be able to figure out what isn't working...not that I'm all that much of a programmer in the first place, mind you...

Never mind on that...it appears that Hubitat doesn't like Waterfox Classic. A different browser made all the difference. Slowing down the refresh rate in the code and then using a browser that was willing to play with Hubitat made the process work flawlessly.

1 Like

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear that helped!

I do have it up and running as well. I used the linked drivers and and app. I rooted it with Kingroot and was able to install the APK using Firefox. The default browser wouldn't allow it. The issue that I have is once I leave the Android screen by opening an app or going to settings, I cannot get back to the home screen. Right now I just leave the browser open to a dashboard. But there has to be a better way. Any suggestions as to why I cannot get back to the home screen other than covering the sensor and pushing the lower right button?

If I remember correctly, I had installed an app called "Assistive Touch" which adds a little white dot to the right side of the screen to provide you a method of navigating to the homescreen (see screenshots in the first post).

1 Like

Agreed. Assistive Touch is a must in my opinion. Without it (or something similar) you are stuck with having to hit the reset button on the bottom edge, which is a painful way to get back to square one..

I've set up two relays now and they've worked pretty solid with rules and the like. There is no way to make them act as repeaters, right? As it is all using wifi?

Right. The integration is all LAN / Wifi based.

Can anyone confirm that it's still possible to root the relay using the 'cover the light sensor and hold down bottom button' trick?

I've tried, literally, dozens of times on a few different relays and it just doens't work for me. I've reset them and brought them back to factory images so many times my thumbs are sort.

I really think I'm following all of the instructions posted but it just doesn't work for me -- I'm at the point where I'm convinced something changed.

Anyway just wanted to check if anyone else has (recently) been able to root the relay...

-John

Are you waiting long enough while covering the sensor, then holding the button? I recall it takes quite a while (maybe 15 sec or so) before you'll hear the clicking and get the home screen to come up.

1 Like