[BETA RELEASE] HEmail - Simple Email Notification Device Driver, no RPi needed

Ah, I think the issue is notifications sent close together. The first one always works, but the 2nd one fails if an email notification is still in progress.

1 Like

Any chance you could add a delay function that waits for say 1 second after the IP email is being sent before sending the next one?

PS, I have no plans to use NR, it's very cool but now I have my head around RM I just dont see a need for it.

So each send is a separate thread I think. Best I can do is introduce a random delay before sending. Will look into..

1 Like

Cheers.

1 Like

Here is my issue. I have an internal Email server (Postfix) running on a linux box. My email notification all go through the postfix and work great as I have the Postfix box relaying to Gmail using a secure connection. So basically I just need this to send and email to my postfix server with only these fields:

• SMTP Server
  • From Address
  • Port

This postfix server is at my house and behind a firewall. I use it for all notifications within my network. It only sends. All my apps that I have running or servers only require those 3 fields.

How can I make this work? I tried setting the other fields to false, but it still doesn't send.

This is how you setup postfix to relay to Gmail for those interested.

https://www.linode.com/docs/guides/configure-postfix-to-send-mail-using-gmail-and-google-apps-on-debian-or-ubuntu/

1 Like

That's cool thanks for the link. I am doing exactly the same except I run my own mail server (postfix as well!) in a dmz but that will come in handy I think.

Have you looked at @kahn-hubitat's sendmail? He's been actively developing his version so that might be something to consider.

I am using Node-RED for my rules etc - it has built in email support so I can securely send and notify based on HE events.

1 Like

I'm running a DMZ also. I looked at Kahn's app and it says no local server needed. I'm really looking for something that stays inside and let Postfix securely send the email through Gmail. I really thought this app would work. I think it's close I just don't know code or I'd fix it for my use.

I use sendmail as a relay. And my outgoing email is sent via Gmail - I have a specific Google username just for my Hubitat notification email. I had to decrease account security to get this to work. Specifically, turn on "Less secure app access".

1 Like

Once you do that are you sure it's only turned on just for that one Gmail accoun? Would not want that enabled across regular personal accounts...

2 Likes

Is there any way to use some sort of global/process variable as a type of "lock"?

If it was set, that meant something else was sending--causing other threads to wait until they could get the lock variable?

It wouldn't likely be 100%, unless there is some sort of thread-safe locking in HE to check and set that variable in an atomic process.

Yes, I think there is.. something to look at maybe... mmmm

1 Like

I just added a semaphore lock to the seqSend function. It's on github now. Have not really tested it all that much.

1 Like

I second this idea. My ISP offers non-SSL SMTP but does not support authentication over plaintext.

Can you please remove the requirement of providing a username and password?

[Edit]
I got it working with Sendmail - Send email and text notifications, (notification device) no local server needed
[/Edit]

Sure! Let me look into it.

I just added a quick bypass let me know if this works for you...

E.

here are the changes i made recently to get mms working correctly on
AT&t so we could get texts in one thread.. thought you'd want to know..

def msgData = "${state.EmailBody}"
	        def emlBody = ""
	        def emlSubject = ""
            def emlDateTime = new Date().format('EEE, dd MMM YYYY H:mm:ss Z',location.timeZone)

def String idP1 = now()
            def String idP2 = java.util.UUID.randomUUID().toString().replaceAll('-', '')
            def String msgId = '<' + idP2 + "." + idP1 + "@2LGKSendmailV2>"

if(msgData.substring(0,1) == "{") {

def slurper = new groovy.json.JsonSlurper()
		        def result = slurper.parseText(msgData)
		        emlBody = result.Body
		        emlSubject = (result.Subject != null ? result.Subject : "")
	        } else {
	           	emlBody = msgData
	        	emlSubject = (Subject != null ? "${Subject}" : "")
	        }   

def sndMsg =[
                  "MAIL FROM: <${From}>"
                , "RCPT TO: <${To}>"
        		, "DATA"
                , "From: ${From}"
                , "To: ${To}"
                , "Date: ${emlDateTime}"
                , "Message-ID: ${msgId}"
                , "Subject: ${emlSubject}"  
                , "MIME-Version: 1.0"
                , 'Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"'
                , "Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable\r\n"
                , ""
        		, "${emlBody}"
        		, ""
        		, "."
	        	, "quit"
            ]
2 Likes

Wow that looks like it was "fun" to figure out.. thank you.

1 Like

Many hours of hard labor, followed by additional hours of doctor-recommended hot tubbing to restore his health. We were a bit worried, but he pulled through. [phew] :smiley:

3 Likes

ya you can see why 2 of my top apps are like that from all the testing to nail down what was needed during testing.

2 Likes

I'm trying to get this working, however "Send Msg" doesn't appear to work. I see this in the Hubitat log:

groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: user_driver_adsavia_HEmail_766.sendMsg() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String) values: [test]
Possible solutions: sendMsg(java.lang.String, java.lang.Integer) (method sendMsg)