[Deprecated] Amazon Alexa Text to Speech (TTS) v0.6.2 - Direct Integration (USA, Canada, UK, Italy, Australia, & Brazil)

Unfortunately, Amazon thinks it is excessive... I do not know how they determine what is considered excessive.

You could modify the code to trap the error and schedule() a retry in a few seconds to see if that is enough time to succeed. Of course, that would mean that these devices would definitely be even more out of synch.

1 Like

Is there a way to send the message to a group of echo devices, so that only one message is sent to Amazon?

Unfortunately, no there is not a way to do this. Please realize that this method for TTS on an Amazon Alexa device is not really using an official API for Alexa TTS (as no public API exists yet.)

FYI Having a retry after 3 seconds seems to work fine when I have been testing with sending a message to 4 echos. I have it so it will retry a max of 2 times upon error, but so far the logs show it hasnt needed to retry more than once.

2 Likes

Nice! When you are satisfied, please issue a pull request or PM me the code and I will update the GitHub Repository.

1 Like

I'm still using the very first release code. If I update to the latest should I delete all my echo devices first ?

Before you upgrade, hang on as I am working on a minor change for better error handling.

As for deleting your devices first, that’s really up to you. What I did was change the label on all of my old Echo devices to Identify them as old ones. The I changed the code (both the App and Driver), and the opened up the app and stepped through it. This created the new devices. Then I simply changed any references to the old devices to the new devices, and finally deleted the old devices.

2 Likes

@anon61068208 - Latest version is now available in my Github. Be sure to update both the App and Driver to their latest respective versions.

1 Like

Updated...

Suggestion.... Would be nice if we could set our own prefix for echo devices.

Agreed. You can change the label name after the fact though.

1 Like

Exactly!

Just like any other device, use the Label field to name each of your Echo devices to whatever you'd like.

I'm not that dense. It just would be nice to have it in the app is all.

Feel free to add the functionality and share it. I love it when others contribute to a project.

2 Likes

Well I got a odd issue. I'm getting a pushover notice about my cookie being bad but yet the announcements are sent.

Have you looked in the Live Logs?

Yup... no errors

app:11222018-12-08 01:15:59.457 pm debugSending 'kennel thermostat is now on' to 'Office Dot
app:11222018-12-08 01:15:58.725 pm debugSending 'kennel thermostat is now on' to 'Living Room Echo
app:11222018-12-08 01:15:13.345 pm debugSending 'humidifier is now on' to 'Office Dot
app:11222018-12-08 01:15:12.730 pm debugSending 'humidifier is now on' to 'Living Room Echo

dev:13502018-12-08 01:15:59.440 pm debugSpeaking message = 'kennel thermostat is now on'
dev:13502018-12-08 01:15:13.327 pm debugSpeaking message = 'humidifier is now on'
dev:13502018-12-08 01:09:04.340 pm debugSpeaking message = 'motion detected on basement entry'

So, for every single Speak command you're also getting a Pushover Notification? Or just during the initial application setup?

Every speak

I believe you, it just doesn't make sense to me. There should be a corresponding ERROR entry in the Logs from the Alexa TTS Manager app every time a pushover notification is sent. Did you modify the code in any way?

very odd... maybe I should get a new cookie and see what happens

nope didnt touch the code