[Deprecated] Amazon Alexa Text to Speech (TTS) v0.6.2 - Direct Integration (USA, Canada, UK, Italy, Australia, & Brazil)

I am waiting to see if the "Echo Speaks" integration on ST has solved the expiring cookie problem or not. If they have, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how and port that bit of code.

Of course, anyone could port the ST Groovy Code to Hubitat and use "Echo Speaks" on Hubitat as well, if they are motivated.

LOL I'm not THAT motivated........ yet.

1 Like

Droping this here for anybody who might want to try it. These instructions are missing a step. google responds with " I didn't understand you can you repeat". If you use the instructions on his github it works great.
https://github.com/tartanguru/alexa-assistant

Wife and I had a ball asking them both the same questions. Try "Open the pod bay doors"

1 Like

@ogiewon can you imagine why loading Webcore app pieces here in HE would stop your text to speech driver from working? As soon as I add those piece Alexa no longer talks. When I remove webcore she pipes back up again. It does not matter if rules are added to Webcore, just the process of adding that app breaks things.

I have no clue why webCoRE would break Alexa TTS. I do not use webCoRE as I try to use Hubitat’s built-in Apps wherever possible.

1 Like

I have updated my GitHub repository with v0.4.1 of the Alexa TTS Manager App and Child Alexa TTS Driver. Make sure you update both of these files if you choose to upgrade your installation.

High Level Release notes from the first post are below.

I would like to thank @stephack for his contributions to this integration! If you have any Virtual Container questions, he's definitely the expert.

5 Likes

There is no way to implement the heroku app ?

I am sure there is a way... it’s just not something I have time to work on. Also, I still like the simplicity of not needing another server. If you’re following the “Echo Speaks” thread on ST, I think you’ll agree that the solution is still a work in progress. Perhaps once that system stabilizes, someone will work on porting it to Hubitat.

4 Likes

This seems interesting.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazons-alexa-voice-is-being-upgraded-and-gaining-a-separate-newscaster-version/

3 Likes

Maybe they'll offer the option for a Walter Cronkite voice for the news.

1 Like

Hi, I don't have a hubitat device but some have translate my project DLNA Speaker from SmartThings, I have mod the dlna speaker code to Echo devices, still a basic functions but it's functional.

2 Likes

With the need of the cookie it's about the same imo.
Maybe the playing music is more featuretastic.

1 Like

I have uploaded v0.4.2 of the Alexa TTS Manager App to my GitHub repo. The only change since v0.4.1 is improved live logging and push notifications for expired cookies. Now, when you issue a Speak command with an expired cookie, you will see an error in the live logging and will receive a push notification if you have configured a Notification Device, like Pushover.

6 Likes

Push notifications in action. Great idea Dan. Now if only you could push a new :cookie:

2 Likes

Trying to get it working but getting this error:
Encountered an error. http resp.status = '200'. http resp.contentType = 'text/html'. Should be '200' and 'application/json'. Check your cookie string!

Using the chrome method to get the cookie, removed the " and added a ; at the end.
Not sure what i'm doing wrong.

did you try without the ; at the end of the cookie string?
I am sure I did not need one when I tried the chrome method
but I did for the firefox

1 Like

Tried it but still the same error

I have not upgraded to the latest 0.4.2 version yet (not home) but have you tried another browser?

Tried firefox but still the same.
EDIT: after a few tries, i got it finaly working. Not sure what i did different though....

3 Likes

I sometimes get the following errors and the messaging fails:

error'speakMessage()': Error making Call (getMessage): Bad Request
error'speakMessage()': Error making Call (Status): 400
error'speakMessage()': Error making Call (Data): [message:Rate Exceeded]

Any ideas why? I'm sending the message to 3 echos, so it's not excessive.