[Deprecated] Amazon Alexa Text to Speech (TTS) v0.6.2 - Direct Integration (USA, Canada, UK, Italy, Australia, & Brazil)

Yup, I found this yesterday too.

Let's hope that the ST beta yields something more permanent. So far my cookie has held. I thinks it's been over 2 weeks now..pretty close anyway. If it holds till the weekend, then it's definitely more than 2 weeks

2 Likes

@ogiewon, would this be helpful?

GitHub - soef/alexa-cookie: Library to generate a cookie including a csrf for alexa remote

And as if to spite me...cookie no workie :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes

Good idea, however I am not really sure how helpful it would be. In my case, for example, I use two factor authentication for Amazon. So, in order to generate a cookie, I have to be able to interact during the login process.

I believe the ST beta is simply trying to keep-alive the connection to alexa.amazon.com by using the connection on a periodic basis. If this technique works, I can easily add a repeating scheduled call to the Alexa TTS Manager App to do the same thing. I am just worried that Amazon is going to see this as some sort of an 'abuse' and will shut this whole thing down.

1 Like

You guys really should utilize the Web service from my Echo Speaks ST beta to proxy your login request.
It simply works by proxying the Amazon login page (So it works with 2FA and captcha) to obtain the cookie/csrf.

@stephack
I took the Alexa-Cookie package and heavily modified it so worked with the alexa-tts web-service. I also built a web config interface to help manage it.

As far as working for your project It would take minimal code changes on your side.
Plus it only takes 30 seconds to deploy the server to Heruku. You just wouldn't use it to send the speech commands to Amazon.
Coupled with the queue system I built to combat consectutive commands overwriting the previous speech and rate-limiting by Amazon.

In the end I truly think we should merge the 2 projects and between us we can make a very stable integration for both ST and Hubitat

11 Likes

Oooh nice. I think I'm switching to Google Assistant though lol.

1 Like

And it has been released. Looks interesting and more reliable than having the users deal with cookies.

https://community.smartthings.com/t/release-echo-speaks/142252

Edit: to be more specific.

4 Likes

Technically the cookie is still in use. The app just takes care of it's acquisition.

1 Like

Old boss, same as the new boss.

I have both. I wouldn't recommend switching to google, I found Alexa more capable and a having a community with more velocity.

That is my fear.
I've heard many people say Alexa is better.

I'll try it for the home hub. If It stinks then I'll stop there.

Thanks for the tip!

I was wondering about having both, if there were any advantages to adding google into a house with 3 echos and two dots. I'm trying to decided between a Echo show, Google Home Hub or just an Android tablet in the kitchen.

Why not just have the best of both worlds?

https://alexamods.com/guide-install-ask-google-alexa-skill/

thanks for the link, have you been using it?

All the time! Whenever Alexa says IDK I say "Alexa, ask Google ..."

Sweet! I'll try it out. Thanks.

Figured this might be a good place to eave this. Great price on two echos.

http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-echo-2-pack-bundle-is-on-sale-for-99-98-or-less-new-lowest-price-ever/

2 Likes

The echo speaks is really nice !! I hope @ogiewon get's to something like that for HE !!

LOL! :slight_smile: I don't have that much free time on my hands! If anyone else wants to pick up the torch and run with it, please feel free to do so!

For me, the simplicity of direct Hubitat to Amazon communications is all I was going after. Not having to have a man-in-the-middle server was my goal.

Until Amazon releases a public API that is supported, I am not going to invest a much more effort into this integration. I still consider it a Beta, as I know there is much that could be added and improved. Currently, I just don't have the time.

If anyone else is up to the challenge, please go for it. Sincerely, my feelings would not be hurt whatsoever.

5 Likes

Getting the cookie isn't a pain for me rather a inconvenience instead but the app does work which is a real nice deal !!!

1 Like