[Deprecated] Amazon Alexa Text to Speech (TTS) v0.6.2 - Direct Integration (USA, Canada, UK, Italy, Australia, & Brazil)

Yes, they will both still work, but it is a bit confusing to have duplicates.

1 Like

You can also do the exact same Firefox steps with Microsoft Edge.

1 Like

Great work, thanks.

Worked without any issues, UK setting and cookies obtained using NoWon's Firefox method.

1 Like

couldn't you simply escape the quotes ?

\"

Since the input is treated as REGEX it should allow this.

ugggg that sucks !!!!!!!!!

It looks I've found a way to do the proper authentication with Amazon Voice Services(AVS), so we can probably eliminate the unreliable cookie saving technique. I'm not a developer, so I can't implement it myself, but I'll try to provide some points for integration.

Here is AVS Amazon developer document describing authorization from a Companion Site and if I'm not mistaken this is our case and here is the AVS developer login page. The main idea is that AVS is using the authentication method called Authorization Code Grant where client ID and client secret created by the app developer are sent along with the Amazon login info from the app and an access and refresh token are returned back to the app. This method eliminates new cookie saving when authentication session is closed for any reason. Client ID and Client secret are created once per app developer.

I have integrated Netatamo Whether station that has implemented the authentication the same way.
Here is GitHub link to Netatmo integration

Thanks for the suggestion. I have to believe if it was simple and supported by Amazon, someone else would have already done it? I’m not an advanced App developer...most of my time is spent on embedded systems and Drivers. If someone can modify the App to include a more standard authentication, I am all ears. I just don’t have the time to figure out if it is even possible.

Just from the brief time i've spent reading about AVS, I think it's only for new hardware.

"The Alexa Voice Service (AVS) allows developers to voice-enable connected products with a microphone and speaker. "

I don't know how it can be used to make existing hardware like the echo talk for our home automation.

Followed the directions; worked flawlessly (US). I combined this with RM and viola - Alert when a door is left open. My wife was delighted as the kids left the door open and Alexa said, "You left the door open, please shut it." (on a 10-second repeat). The kids tried to tell Alexa to "stop", to no avail. Finally they shut the door.

8 Likes

Alexa, via my kitchen Echo, just scolded/scared the cat for jumping up on the counter in the middle of the night. Priceless!!! This integration is fantastic! Thank you.

5 Likes

Brilliant! I’d love this, how are you triggering it?

I have a spare Iris motion sensor that I attached a piece of plastic tubing to, limiting the field of view, and set it on the countertop.

1 Like

Great. I think I’ll have to look at this. Then maybe a spray tigger if they don’t get off :joy:

1 Like

LOL. Unfortunately, we have a "No camera while present" policy. I'd like to capture video of that little bugger getting caught.

1 Like

I have to be honest and say that although this is a really exciting development, I have not yet had a chance to try setting it up yet.

And then I found out about this news:

If this there's any way this new service could integrated to allow custom selection of voices, it would be fantastic!

@ogiewon

Dan - would the Alexa TTS work as a music device if the capability was added? My question is due to you can not control speech device volume whereas you can with music devices. When I use an Alexa it announces at level 10 verses my level 4 I set it to. Thoughts?

As I am sure you're aware, simply adding a capability doesn't magically add all of the supporting code behind the scenes. I plan on adding volume level control in the future.

Although, my Alexa Echo, Spot, and Dot "Speak" at the same volume level they are already set at, not at 100%. So, that is why this hasn't been a very urgent feature for me.

Anyone tried porting this to ST yet ?

There is a small team working on it for ST. I think they’re making good progress.

1 Like

Can I get in on it ?