[RELEASE] Other Hub SmartThings Integration 2.0

Other Hub SmartThings Integration 2.0.1
(Hubitat Virtual Devices, Web Dashboard, & Notifications)

Device Integration Features:

• Creates Virtual Devices in SmartThings for all the devices you've selected.

• The attributes and last event times of all the devices gets updated on a configurable schedule.

• You can choose which attributes get sent to SmartThings in real-time.

SmartThings Web Dashboard and Notification Features:

• View Hubitat Devices using the SmartThings mobile app and/or through any web browser using the Optional web dashboard.

• Set thresholds for Low/High Temperature, Low/High Power, Battery Level, and Last Event Time.

• Send SMS and/or Push Notifications based on those thresholds.

• Supports Health Check so SmartThings will alert you if your Hubitat Hub goes offline.

• The Other Hub Device Viewer SmartApp is a modified version of my Simple Device Viewer so for more information see that Topic on the SmartThings forum.

I appreciate the support and feedback I have received here, with a special thanks to those that have donated at PayPal.Me. It is not required or expected, but it does motivate me to continue creating new apps/drivers and support/enhance the ones I’ve already created.

If you have the original version installed you're going to have to delete it and perform a fresh install because Version 2 is a cloud to cloud integration and doesn't use the Hubitat Bridge.

Installing the Child Device Type Handlers

Installing the Other Hub Device Viewer SmartApp

1. Create and Publish the Other Hub Device Viewer SmartApp in the IDE. (SmartThings My SmartApps)

2. Go into the SmartApp Settings and enable OAuth.

3. Open the SmartThings Mobile App and install the Other Hub Device Viewer SmartApp.

4. When the SmartApp opens, specify the child device prefix and SmartApp label (optional) and then tap save.

5. Re-open the 'Other Hub Device Viewer' from the SmartApps tab and tap the 'Display SmartThings Dashboard Url' link. That will write the dashboard URL to Live Logging so you can copy and paste it into the 'Other Hub Event Pusher' App.

6. This SmartApp has a lot of features that work the same as the "Simple Device Viewer" SmartApp so see this post for detailed instructions on configuring thresholds and using the notification features.

Installing the Other Hub Event Pusher App

1. Create the Other Hub Event Pusher App (Hubitat Apps Code)

2. Click the OAuth button, Click "Enable OAuth", and then click Update.

3. Go into the Apps section of Hubitat and click Load New App.

4. Select Other Hub Event Pusher.

5. Enter or paste the dashboard url, mentioned in #5 above, into the SmartThings Dashboard Url field.

6. Select all the devices you want to include in the integration. You only have to select each device once and you should be able to find most of your devices in the first 2 fields.

7. Specify how often it should refresh all the devices.

8. Select the attributes that you want to include in the real-time integration. I recommend only selecting the attributes that a really important to reduce the burden on the cloud.

9. Tap Done and the Hubitat devices you selected should appear in SmartThings within a few minutes.

If you find that you're unable to control your hubitat devices from SmartThings, click the 'Send Hubitat Url to SmartThings' button. If that doesn't fix it then click the 'Refresh Hubitat Url' link.

18 Likes

This looks great!

Can you give some context as to why you moved to a cloud-to-cloud integration?

Is it because you wanted to allow this to work without having a SmartThings hub for receiving commands locally or was there some limitation with the hardware that prevented it from working well?

The original version used some unsupported endpoints that have been disabled for security reasons in the latest hub update. I basically had to either re-write the integration or scrap the project.

All custom code in SmartThings runs in the cloud so there really isn't any benefit to communicating directly between the hubs. The real-time integration piece that sent the events to SmartThings has always used the SmartThings cloud endpoints.

Some users had a really hard time getting the bridge piece working in SmartThings so removing that from the integration should make it easier for everyone to use it.

This is something I was already considering doing because I just got my sister a Hubitat Elevation Hub and she doesn't have SmartThings, but I wanted to be able to give her a url to view her devices without having to give her access to my account.

Other Hub 2.0 allows me to provide her with a dashboard url that allows her to see her devices without giving her access to my SmartThings account.

Known Issues

• The Last Event times shown in the Other Hub Event Viewer Dashboard aren’t accurate.

• The attribute values of some devices are shown as “[:]” ni the dashboard.

• The switches in the dashboard allow you to click them, but they don’t actually do anything. I’m still trying to decide if I should keep the dashboard read-only or add the ability to interact with switches, locks, valves, and alarms.

If you’re using the new integration, please let me know if you encountered any problems setting it up and how many devices you have integrated.

The know the Hubitat side can handle sending 100+ devices to SmartThings, but I only have 18 devices in Hubitat so I’m not sure how many devices the SmartThings SmartApp and the real-time integration can handle.

Great. When I remove the older version is there is preferred method to do that? What order should I:

• Remove Other Hub Bridge DTH
  • Remove Other Hub individual DTH’s
  • Remove Other Hub View SmartApp
  • Remove individual 'OHB-" divices created by previous version

Thanks.

1. Uninstall the Other Hub Event Pusher App in Hubitat.

2. Delete the Other Hub Event Pusher App Code from Hubitat.

3. Uninstall the Other Hub Device Viewer SmartApp in SmartThings.

4. Delete the Other Hub Device Viewer SmartApp Code from SmartThings.

5. Remove the Other Hub Bridge and it should automatically remove all the "OHB-" child devices it created, If you run into any problems verify that the child devices aren't still being used by other SmartApps.

6. Delete all the Other Hub Bridge DTH and all the child DTHs from SmartThings.

Excellent. Thanks for the step-by-step instructions.

1 Like

So far so good.
The Hubitat community is lucky to have developers like you.
Have a couple of beers on me :slight_smile:

One suggestion for the step by step.
9. Open the Hubitat logs in a separate window and click on "Display Hubitat URL"
10. Copy the displayed URL and enter it into the Other Hub Device Viewer app in Smartthings.

2 Likes

Thank you for the donation.

Awesome work as usually!

1 Like

Awesome work. Unfortunately uninstalling the device in ST didn’t remove all of my child devices and I had to remove 40+ devices manually but other than that all good. Glad to see temp and other attributes report individually in ST!

Did you yank them from smart apps first? I’ll be doing this tonight and want to know what I’m in for. :slight_smile:

I did on some and not others. Ended up pulling up the list, searching for OHB and right clicked on the device and open in another tab and clicked delete on each tab. Did this for 10 or so at a time.

1 Like

Successfully pulled in 112 devices.:sunglasses:

1 Like

I'm surprised it was able to handle that many without SmartThings throwing any exceptions, but I'm glad to hear it.

I'm finishing us some changes now and I'll be posting another version later tonight.

2 Likes

Enhancements in Version 2.0.1

• The Pusher app sends the Hubitat URL to SmartThings so it no longer needs to be entered manually into the SmartThings app.

• The Other Hub Device Viewer SmartApp allows you to change the “OH-” prefix to something else.
    (The setting is only visible for new installations)

• Switches can be toggled from the SmartThings Dashboard.

• Misc Bug Fixes and UI Enhancements.

Files Changed:

• Other Hub Event Pusher App
  • Other Hub Device Viewer SmartApp
  • Other Hub Switch DTH
3 Likes

@krlaframboise could modes be synced as well? I am having to keep some devices on ST and it would be great if I change the mode in Hubitat for it to set ST to that same mode.

4 Likes

I should be able to add that this weekend.

2 Likes

Just wanted to say “Thank You” for this.

Allows me to gradually transition devices and automations to Hubitat, while allowing the wife to continue relying on ActionTiles as if nothing has changed.

Some day I may move HousePanel, but user experience is an area where I have learned to tread lightly and slowly :slight_smile:

2 Likes

House Panel works with both Hubitat and smartthings simultaneously. You can add devices from either system, and while you migrate, just replace the device location. If you’re sneaky about it your wife won’t even notice. :slight_smile: