[BETA] Hubitat Package Manager

In re-reading my post I see how the original post started off on the wrong foot, so I’ve edited that. I wasn’t commenting on Hubitat’s instructions, but the How to Install for Dummies thread that seemed to imply that there would be instructions at the GitHub link telling us what to do, which I couldn’t find. If they are there, then it’s on me. I saw a Read Me but I couldn’t open it.

I tried using the paste the URL method and it just took me to the GitHub page. Once I got there I knew I had to copy some code, but not which code. I had heard of GitHub, but never really used it. So what may be obvious to most of the users here, wasn’t apparent, at least to me.

I posted my step-by-step instructions, not as a criticism of the package, or Hubitat, but to make it easier for newbies to this level of automation, like me, to install it. (BTW, while I’m totally new to Hubitat and GitHub, I have an Ecobee with multiple sensors, 2 Harmony hubs that control my home theater system +, 2 Echos and a Google mini. I know that’s nothing to most of those here, but my point being I’m not 100% green off the home automation boat).

I think Hubitat is fantastic, and I’ve been looking at taking the plunge into smart switches for years before finally jumping in with Hubitat and Inovelli Red Series dimmers, on top of those items mentioned above. BUT, and it’s a big but, the UI definitely needs some work, and while the community is great, while searching though the threads I can see that most are very familiar with using GitHub, etc., so some steps are often omitted, as they assume everyone knows them.

So, I’m just trying to help make Hubitat easier to use so even more people use it. (And I think Hubitat Package Manager is a great help in achieving that).

3 Likes

Apologies, my response was meant as educational (Assume you may be adding other community drivers that may not be covered by Package manager as well)

If you look at the linked instructions, you have to put in a link to the "RAW" code. I believe it assumes that if you know how to get to github, then you know what raw code is and how to get to it

Screen Shot

1 Like

I was surprised to see that this very useful app wasn't listed in the community apps wiki post so I added it there.
I'm actually going to update that wiki over the next few days with other apps that I found useful but weren't listed there. Trying to pay it forward to new people they join after me as I found the wikies very useful in the beginning

4 Likes

Lol. There is a wiki?

1 Like

Yes there is one post for apps

And another one for drivers. The drivers post does seem to be more up to date

2 Likes

While you are in there, Tony Fleisher's (@tony.fleisher's) excellent Hubitat Mesh Details app would be a good one to add.

4 Likes

Just checking in. I got one notification about a day after the update to HPM and none since. I did run the updates that morning. I decided to check in today, and saw that I have updates available, but received no notification again.

I then ran a repair on the Hubitat Package Manager app itself, and the Updates Notified Boolean is still true.

I then ran the updates that needed to be done. This time, the Updates Notified Boolean switched to false. I am wondering if there is something that may be flipping it back to true once the check is run again? Or if there is a reason it is getting stuck after the initial notification?

Updates available

Settings

Updates Notified still True

Log

Hello, I don't know why but HPM don't detect driver update for my Inovelli LZW31-SN

My driver version is 2020-10-01
Last Inovelli driver version is 2021-01-28

What happens if you uninstall the inovelli drivers in Hubitat, manually install the GitHub recent version, do a match up in HPM. Does HPM recognize the new driver?

Back up before you do this so you can fall back if it goes badly.

Hi there everyone.

Need some advice on this error.

I have put some screen shots here to help.

HE Package Manager is not letting me update anything.

Any help is much appreciated.

Are you using security on your hub, and if so did you configure HPM to use it correctly?

1 Like

Hi.

Thank you for your fast reply.

I am using security on the hub, I set it up from the start, it was working fine, but after an update, I think it lost security settings some how.

Well, not sure what I did.

I am going to delete and reinstall it again.

Hope that will sort it out.

Many thanks

If it continues, may want to try removing the security temporarily and see if HPM works, and then put the security back on and try it. (This would give the developer a more complete set of scenarios and conditions in which to examine their code.)

1 Like

Ok, I'm having a brain fart or something. What's the proper way to remove this package? There's no "remove" button inside the app and when I try and delete the app code it tells me it's still in use. Uninstall of itself isnt' working either inside the app. Thanks.

Hit the gear icon next to the app on the app page, scroll down to the bottom and hit remove.

3 Likes

I get the following error:

NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'repositories' on null object on line 3538 (prefSettings)

When doing what?

Think you might be in the wrong thread, this is a thread for Hubitat Package Manager, doesn't really have anything to do with Door locks.

Should start a new thread in support and say what app you are using to try and do this.

3 Likes

SUPER nice job on your Hubitat Package Manager!

See PayPal for a presie left yesterday!

Thanks!

Peter

2 Likes

@dman2306

Just wanted to take a moment to say thank you for putting this 'app' together, as well as thanks to the other devs who've gotten on board in support of this effort!

As someone brand new to the world of Hubitat (and HA period), I knew before I bought the C5 that I now own, that I would be taking this on board. (I tend to research as much as I can before I dive into what I expect will be ongoing, or long-term projects.)

It's already proving very useful, and after having read through the entirety of this thread, have also picked up on other apps that I fully expect to be useful in the days to come.

4 Likes