[BETA] Echo Speaks V4

Hello, Can anyone please tell me how to execute multiple routines from a single Echo Speaks trigger? I'm only successful executing one routine per action.

Iā€™m no expert in this but what I have done is to set up my routines in RM 5.1 and utilize the devices which are exposed by Echo Speaks in RM to make the announcements.

You might have more success using a virtual switch. Set the Echo Speaks to trigger the on/off of a virtual switch specifically created - then set all rules to follow the switch? I've got 7 virtual switches in my environment - a bit strange at first to wrap your head around them but they do come in useful. I wrote a 'reversible' switch driver - complete with auto-off a while ago that I use and shared with the community - you may want to give it a try.

I just got an email saying free heroku deploys will stop working in a few months. :sob:

So If we buy a heroku plan will echo speaks keep working?

there are posts (including mine) on the released thread as well.

I have wondered why the beta & released thread have not been merged or why the beta thread has not been closed .... @bobbyD

It's developer's choice. Tony might want to keep them both open, otherwise he would have pinged me to close it.

4 Likes

Got it. Thank you.

The server will run locally right now but it requires having a device windows, Mac, raspberry pi, or Linux device running in your home 24/7.
It also requires knowledge of NodeJS and GitHub.

Iā€™m planning on rewriting the server to run the web socket for Alexa as well as create a docker image for easy install.

21 Likes

I have an always on win11 pc plus a Synology ds220+ that I can run docker.

But knowledge of NodeJS I do not have. :wink:

I have knowledge of NodeJS, but not a lot of knowledge in it... how much is needed?

(Sorry, not meant to criticize word choice - just trying to figure out what level of skill is required)

I just received the devastating heroku news as well. As asked in the other Echo Speaks thread, is there a ā€œdummies (me) guideā€ to getting heroku server to run locally and work with HE/Echo Speaks? If we continue to use the cloud heroku server, is it as simple as paying for a plan, entering the account info in Echo Speaks, and continuing to enjoy Echo Speaks functionality? Also, for @tonesto7, will you plan to continue supporting Echo Speaks through this transition or is the writing on the wall for Echo Speaks due to herokuā€™s move?

1 Like

Sounds good to me. Thanks for all your development efforts, Tony.

6 Likes

Kinda wondering the same thing. I have no problem getting a pi to run it instead. I just would need a guide. I feel like I would be very rusty with the process.

4 Likes

Can you please make a docker image available via DockerHub? I already run HomeBridge and other Docker images on my NAS and this would be ideal for many of us.

6 Likes

I was able to get the server running locally, but it will not retrieve the cookie. Any ideas?

I think he addresses this in the same post you quoted (emphasis added):

2 Likes

Ah nice, I missed that bit! :man_facepalming:

However, hosting via DockerHub would still be ideal IMHO.

1 Like

I see Heroku is going to start charging. What is going to happen to Echo Speaks?

Dear Customer,

Thank you for being a Heroku user. Starting November 28, 2022, free Heroku Dynos, free Heroku Postgres, and free Heroku Data for RedisĀ® will no longer be available. You can learn more about these and other important changes from our GM, Bob Wise, on the Heroku blog.

Existing free dynos and Heroku data add-ons will be impacted, so action by you is required. To prevent any disruption to your apps or data using free plans, you will need to upgrade from a free plan to a paid plan before November 28, 2022.

For instructions on how to upgrade and for other questions, please visit our FAQ.

Thank you,

The Heroku Team

2 Likes

I posted this in the Release thread, too.

Hi all,
Here's a thread of the rabbit hole I went down to get the local server running on an RPi. It's not a 'for dummies' set of instructions but it does list the steps and anything I came across to get it running. Been working fine (knock on wood) for months now. Hopefully this can help.