Best Zigbee Thermostat in 2020?

I sent a note to Zen to see if they had an outline of the update procedure. If I am lazy or bored and they respond, maybe I'll code something up. My Zen is on 2.08 :flushed:

1 Like

Here's wishing you much lazy boredom. :wink:

And the response from Zen:

Unfortunately, Zen Thermostats are not supported on hub platforms that don't support Zen Thermostats on their Hub platform.

I told them they do, and their response was:

Understood, though unfortunately there is no user guide for non supported OTA FW updating.

maybe the Hubitat team can get somewhere.

Are the Zen thermostats worth $200 new?

I have two few-months old Sensi thermostats that work great but no integration with Hubitat.

I want one thermostat to set the temperature based on the temperature in the master bedroom at night and not the livingroom wall where it is located.

I would be happy to use the master bedroom temperature 24/7 so I could physically move the thermostat to the bedroom wall but that's more than a $200 PITA.

I see some "open box" Zens on Ebay but I am reluctant to potentially waste money and time on someone else's defective thermostat.

Other suggestions?

This is the same thermostat, I believe (Zigbee), and available from Amazon warehouse so easy returns if issues arise. $84.

https://www.amazon.com/Swann-SWO-ZTH01K-US-One-Thermostat-White/dp/B00VAIKCWM/ref=sr_1_36?dchild=1&keywords=zen+thermostat&qid=1610210736&sr=8-36

1 Like

Thanks!

Looks like I scored the last one.

Used - but if it works that will be great.

1 Like

Welp. It came and installed OK. I think that it is working OK. Thanks for the tip. That was the last one!

I don't get the cool app that goes with the Sensi but I think that I will be able to control it with the temperature sensor in the bedroom which was my objective.

I believe that it will require a collection of SharpTools rules for every setting however.

More fun!

2 Likes

Glad it appears to be working out! The Thermostat controller app should be of some use to you...have you looked at it? If you have questions or issues @bravenel has been very responsive. You can use it to get your thermostat to control temps based on external temperature sensors.

2 Likes

Perfect!
Problem solved.
Thanks!

Follow-up.

I am really liking the Zen/Swann thermostat. The thermostat controller app is working perfectly. I also learned a little bit more about thermostat hysterisis.

Controlling the thermostat in the livingroom with a simple Sonoff temperature/humidity sensor at the bedside was easy and accomplishes what I set out to do.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

2 Likes

It's pretty darn nice when a plan comes together. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

They are pretty great! I dont use the TC app tho as I control everything via RM.

:+1: +1

:no_mouth:

So I've had my pair of Zen's for about 7 months now - my only gripe is they dont seem to like Alkaline batteries. they work great for a few weeks (even on Duracell Ultra's or Energizer Max's) and then they seem to struggle to take set-point changes via Zigbee consistently.

I've switched to using Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries, (boy those are expensive @ $16 AUD for a pack of 4!), and that seems to improve reliability greatly.

it's interesting many device manuals instruct to use alkaline batteries only. My GoControl thermostat (zwave, not zigbee), smart lock, water sensors, smoke sensors, all have the same instructions. I use only lithium batteries now, last longer and never leak. The extra cost is justified for that. Why wouldn't they allow lithium officially as a replacement for alkaline is not clear to me.

1 Like

I would assume it may have something to do with the discharging metering of lithium's, for example if I use lithium in my locks they always read 100% battery level for months on end, until they don't. The moment I notice they changed to 99% or 98% they are completely dead by the next day. Alkalines seem to more closely resemble natural battery drain.

I see. I noticed similar problem with some of my sensors, but I thought it was the issue with the sensors reporting, not the battery type. Not meaning to get this thread of topic, so should probably branch this discussion into a separate thread, if there isn't one already.

Yeah that is typical for lithium batteries, they usually provide consistent voltage till about 95% discharge. Then they drop off rapidly.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.