Best Zigbee Thermostat in 2020?

That looked interesting, but I was wondering about what happens when you change drivers back to the Zen driver and don't hit Configure (I assume he didn't) and the Zen driver you end up on doesn't support those capabilities "left over" from the previous driver. Are those "left-over" capabilities then actually still available for use? Seems odd...

Hitting configure or refresh doesnt remove the "Supported modes" options.

1 Like

If that is an issue, couldn't you just set a crazy low cooling setpoint (as low as it can go, if there is a limit) and cooling would never enter into things. Right?

Well it's not really an issue anymore with my hack. :smiley:

So those additional non-supported capabilities are still available in RM etc, but they never did anything to start with so removing them from the Dashboard is the ideal solution imo.

1 Like

Btw, I just tried this hack on my Sensibo Sky (community driver) and it worked on that too! :laughing:

1 Like

Minor update: I was having occasional issues with my Zen's not changing attributes via automation and my units were both on v2.16 of the Zen FW. As there wasnt a way to update them via HE, I bought a 2nd hand SmartThings v2 Hub for $50 AUD and used that to update them.

The process is quite easy and you dont need to break all your automations and dashboards to do it.

1. Take your Zen off the wall, wake up the screen if it isnt already on.
  2. Press the network button 10 times to remove it from your HE Zigbee network - this is only done on the device, your HE device won't be removed unless you run that process on the HE (so dont).
  3. On your SmartThings app, select add a device and pick the Zen Thermostat
  4. Press the network button 5 times to add it to your SmartThings
  5. follow the instruction HERE to check your Device FW version
  6. pull the batteries out of your Zen for a minute
  7. Wait for up to 10 mins and it should auto-update - you'll know it's doing this as a :warning: symbol will start randomly flashing around the screen. It's done when the display goes back to showing "prefs".
  8. make sure the Zen is responding in the ST app then power down your ST HUB
  9. Press the network button 10 times to remove it from SmartThings
  10. On your Hubitat Hub, go to discover Zigbee new device and start the discovery process
  11. Press the network button 5 times to re-add it to your Hubitat - you'll see it say something along the lines of "found an existing device". This means you succeeded! Congrats!

Hope folk find this helpful. :vulcan_salute:

How's did you figure out what FW version you were on?

If you take your Zen off the mount, select "prefs", scroll right to "info" and the first item when you scroll down is your current FW version.

Mine was on 2.16 and it's now on 2.32.

There are quite a lot of fixes it would seem:

1 Like

For the first time ever, I am wishing I had not gotten rid of my st hub...

Lol, I hear you - I never had one to start with. But v2 units are dirt cheap on eBay.

FWIW, it also broke reporting of the fan state (on/auto) for me. For a while I recall that it broke more, but some of that was just due to DTH fixes that ST needed to make (and did; this is when I was beta testing the firmware for ST) that didn't also affect Hubitat. But that's one feature that I think never came back for me on either ST or Hubitat. Not sure if I'm alone, but I ended up replacing the thermostat anyway so never ended up caring too much. :slight_smile:

But for me this was one of those times I wished I listened to the old adage about "fixing" things that aren't broke...

It's working just fine for me on my C7, Im finding the Zen's much more responsive on v2.32 so far and haven't found any broken items.

I assumed that there weren't any major bugs left in the Zen FW as there hasn't been any FW updates since march 2019.

The other thing I have noticed is they are reporting improved RSSI numbers (as in lower).

PS, the only thing that doesnt work for me is the battery level - but that didnt work before the FW upgrade. I only noticed it wasnt actually 100% when I had them connected to the ST hub.

I sent a note to Zen to see if they had an outline of the update procedure. If I am lazy or bored and they respond, maybe I'll code something up. My Zen is on 2.08 :flushed:

1 Like

Here's wishing you much lazy boredom. :wink:

And the response from Zen:

Unfortunately, Zen Thermostats are not supported on hub platforms that don't support Zen Thermostats on their Hub platform.

I told them they do, and their response was:

Understood, though unfortunately there is no user guide for non supported OTA FW updating.

maybe the Hubitat team can get somewhere.

Are the Zen thermostats worth $200 new?

I have two few-months old Sensi thermostats that work great but no integration with Hubitat.

I want one thermostat to set the temperature based on the temperature in the master bedroom at night and not the livingroom wall where it is located.

I would be happy to use the master bedroom temperature 24/7 so I could physically move the thermostat to the bedroom wall but that's more than a $200 PITA.

I see some "open box" Zens on Ebay but I am reluctant to potentially waste money and time on someone else's defective thermostat.

Other suggestions?

This is the same thermostat, I believe (Zigbee), and available from Amazon warehouse so easy returns if issues arise. $84.

https://www.amazon.com/Swann-SWO-ZTH01K-US-One-Thermostat-White/dp/B00VAIKCWM/ref=sr_1_36?dchild=1&keywords=zen+thermostat&qid=1610210736&sr=8-36

1 Like

Thanks!

Looks like I scored the last one.

Used - but if it works that will be great.

1 Like

Welp. It came and installed OK. I think that it is working OK. Thanks for the tip. That was the last one!

I don't get the cool app that goes with the Sensi but I think that I will be able to control it with the temperature sensor in the bedroom which was my objective.

I believe that it will require a collection of SharpTools rules for every setting however.

More fun!

2 Likes

Glad it appears to be working out! The Thermostat controller app should be of some use to you...have you looked at it? If you have questions or issues @bravenel has been very responsive. You can use it to get your thermostat to control temps based on external temperature sensors.

2 Likes