Best Zigbee Door/Window Sensor in 2021

In the process of replacing all my z-wave devices. Looking for the best zigbee door/window sensor. My prioritized wish list:

1. battery life
  2. compatibility with native HE driver
  3. available in US
  4. speed
  5. size

Any recommendation?

Well, since price isn't a criteria, NYCE

2 Likes

Wow, thank you! How did I miss it?
This is the one you are referring to right?
Is the 5 years battery life realistic?

Yep. @mike.maxwell has them, so maybe he can point you to a better price than the $43 ea price on Amazon.com

I bought them for size and shape. These replaced Sensative Strips when the battery died after a lot less than the advertised 10 years. I guess that's why they say "up to".

3 Likes

For that list, the Nyce NCZ-3011-HA wins in all categories hands down. The only downside, I think it is literally the most expensive Zigbee contact sensor out there, but as with all things you get what you pay for! The Nyce is so small I'm considering routing out a pocket in my wood doors to hide the sensor like the Aeotec recessed sensors (which are junk in my experience).

P.S. Make sure you find the version that part number ends "HA" which is the Zigbee Home Automation 1.2 protocol version and works great with Hubitat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WTE61FI/

2 Likes

I wish...

2 Likes

So you weren't able to get 25 or 30 eval units?

:grin:

Thank you all for the recommendation: just bought two Nyce NCZ-3011-HA. Pricey but like you said, hopefully you get what you pay for.

I'm going to do exactly that. Yank the Aeotec recessed (which probably cost me 2x the purchasing price in batteries) from my front door, and rout a pocket large enough to slide the NYCE in.

1 Like

Also looking for zigbee routers to place around the house.

Are these (Leedarson OEM, UL certification E491235, Zigbee certification ZIG19106ZB330348-24) any good? 10A is plenty for my use and I like that they don't block both sockets.

Are there better router/extender options with the same form factor?

Centralite.

1 Like

Nice. Thank you!

meh, assuming the xbee LQI stats accurate, that centralite plug is much less effective as a repeater compared to the Iris 3210-L Outlet. Not only does the Iris outlet connect to everything in sight, 22 connections, all above 240 LQI. The plug above, I just bought about 6 weeks ago, and it has maybe 6 connections, all with a much lower LQI. While it didn't cause any noticeable issues, if you can get your hands on an Iris plug, go that route. That's my 2¢.

The only place I could find that sells them is this, but @ $65+tax it's a bit too much. Are they available anywhere else for less?

I'm not a zigbee expert. How do you measure the quality of a zigbee router/repeater?
Does Hubitat have some metric/diagnostics to evaluate their performance?

Getting harder to find but they do popup on ebay from time to time, saw them last week at 19.99 each.
Check craigslist & offerup too.

Use the below(i thought i posted it above, but got threads mixed up-sorry), it only gives what the hub sees in terms of LQI, but is better than nothing
Here is my result from the HE link: Note my zigbee mesh is under deconstruction, as I move to my C7, from my C4

Parent child parameters
EzspGetParentChildParametersResponse [childCount=0, parentEui64=0000000000000000, parentNodeId=65535]

Child Data

Neighbor Table Entry
[Environment Sensor 2, 0725], LQI:246, age:3, inCost:5, outCost:0
[Repeater Zigbee Tuya, 111B], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[XBEE XB24CZ7WT100420_VFD, 3743], LQI:255, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Environment Sensor EX D988, 4DB7], LQI:255, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[_test Iris plug pantry, 6B68], LQI:255, age:5, inCost:1, outCost:1
[XBEE3_UFL_ADTN_VFD, 8707], LQI:255, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Light Attic, 87C2], LQI:252, age:4, inCost:3, outCost:1
[Plug Linkind 9D37, 9D37], LQI:218, age:4, inCost:5, outCost:3
[Repeater Tradfri Front, AAAF], LQI:254, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Repeater Ikea Bsmnt, C1FF], LQI:49, age:7, inCost:7, outCost:0
[Addition Lamp 💡, D360], LQI:255, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Plug Moes zig 3.0, E442], LQI:255, age:4, inCost:1, outCost:1
[null, E999], LQI:210, age:4, inCost:5, outCost:0
[Halo Plus Attic, EB8A], LQI:206, age:3, inCost:5, outCost:1
[null, EE35], LQI:253, age:4, inCost:3, outCost:5
[Light Pantry Counter, FE19], LQI:253, age:3, inCost:3, outCost:3

Route Table Entry
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Motion Washer C3B1, 02E3] via [Environment Sensor EX D988, 4DB7]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Alarm 4 Buttons 🔘, 20B8] via [Plug Moes zig 3.0, E442]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Environment Sensor 2, 0725] via [Plug Moes zig 3.0, E442]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Water Sink Addition Samfat, F6C8] via [Addition Lamp 💡, D360]
status:Active, age:32, routeRecordState:2, concentratorType:High Ram, [XBEE3_UFL_ADTN_VFD, 8707] via [XBEE3_UFL_ADTN_VFD, 8707]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [___ZB mini switch, A87A] via [Repeater Tradfri Front, AAAF]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Plug Linkind 9D37, 9D37] via [Repeater Tradfri Front, AAAF]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Halo+ Girls Room , E2AF] via [Plug Moes zig 3.0, E442]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Keypad2, B810] via [XBEE3_UFL_ADTN_VFD, 8707]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [null, E999] via [null, EE35]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [__Tuya Siren, 7837] via [XBEE XB24CZ7WT100420_VFD, 3743]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Fan/Light Vestibule, 7060] via [XBEE3_UFL_ADTN_VFD, 8707]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Motion Basement switch new Iris, 6449] via [Plug Moes zig 3.0, E442]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Motion IRIS MO-TEST Garage, D893] via [XBEE XB24CZ7WT100420_VFD, 3743]

1 Like

@SmartHomePrimer and @Eric.C.Miller,

I received my NYCE contact sensors and installed them today. I love them! Super small, cleverly designed and working flawlessly. Thank you for the recommendation.

One question.

My front door is very old, so I decided against routing a rectangular slot where the Aeotec recessed was inserted. Ended up slipping the magnet under the trim and mounted the sensor on the door. Will vibrations from opening & closing the door impact functionality and long term reliability?

1 Like

On the back door I did that with a different sensor and it was a mistake because it gets too cold and the batteries would die really quickly in the wintertime, so the Ring sensor I have now is just surface mounted.

On the front I did the same thing (old house too - 1926), but it’s in the jam on the inside, separated from the cold, so no problem. For the magnet, I pulled it out of its plastic holder and drilled into the door, put the magnet in and then sealed the opening.

Short story long, I can’t say it won’t be a problem, but if it doesn’t shift, it should be fine.

1 Like

I like them. I may get a couple of more as the Sensative Strips die.
I don't know about the vibration issue - I haven't been using them very long and the windows wouldn't generate as much vibration as a door.

From your pictures above you mounted the sensor on the frame and the magnet on the window so vibrations are most likely not a factor. I didn't have room to mount the sensor flush with the magnet so I ended up doing the opposite. That's why I'm worried about vibration impacting the Reed switch.

BTW, I decided to buy six of these Innr Smart Plugs to double as routers.
So far I'm pretty impressed with them. I like the form factor, that they are UL certified and that they have given me zero issues.

I placed one in every room (my property is about 2,200 sq ft with a detached garage) and the following is my zigbee network:

5x SmartThings leak sensors
2x Philips Hue motion sensors
2x NYCE contact sensors
6x Innr outlets

I'm not sure how to read the Child and Route Info. The fact that there is no "Child Data", does it mean that they are being routed?