Best/Worst Matter device experience so far

LOL...wife wants to know "What's so funny?" I started to explain and then she said "Oh, more of that stuff, nevermind..." :wink:

4 Likes

If you operate Nanoleaf Matter strips with a Matter outlet, do you get antimatter and blow up the universe?

1 Like

I'm waiting to hear back from nanoleaf on my case (string keeps falling back to bluetooth)

1 Like

Damn, I wish. I'd change my name to Thanos.

3 Likes

Can you explain how you have these integrated with hubitat? I just purchased the elements and was wondering how I might integrate and what the options might be? Is it just on/off or other control? Thanks!

Use the built in Nanoleaf aurora driver.

Step 1 Make DHCP reservation for element/aurora

Step 2 Create virtual device using built in nanoleaf aurora driver

Step 3 Input ip of nanoleaf on device page

Step 4 Go to device page. Press the physical power button on the elments control for 2 seconds then click the Get Authorization token button on device page. (you can optionally leave a live log page open to confirm it came through)

Step 5 enjoy controlling your nanolead lights from Hubitat.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Could anyone point to these « Tapo » outlets ? When I search for that, the only thing I find is Tp-link’s Kasa outlets. Are these the same ?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BXMNJDW3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. I get why I didn’t find them now. They are so much more expensive than the Kasa ones here in Canada (75$ for 3 vs 29$ for 2).

Has anyone tried the Kasa ones (KP125M) ? They are also matter, and I’m not sure what’s the difference since they are both made by TP Link

1 Like

I just ordered 2 packs of 2 on amazon.ca (KP125M) $26 for each 2 pack. Just wanted to try (matter) them out and ditch my ikea tradfri plugs.

As far as i can tell they are the same as the Tapo version, but the Tapo doesnt seem to show up on Amazon.ca.

They do show up on Amazon.ca, but they are far more expensive

1 Like

Oh yes i see them now, $71 for 3 pack. I wonder if they would share drivers?

1 Like

No clue, but there is no way I am buying 71$ for 3 packs when I can get a 4 pack of third reality Zigbee outlets for 50$ (and 40$ when they go on sale)…

Even 29$ for the 2 pack Kasa outlet is too expensive in comparison.

I would probably get the Eve Matter over Thread outlets instead if I was going to pay that much. A bit more expensive, but at least it would extend the thread network, whereas wifi just adds one more device to my wifi without helping anything.

2 Likes

These were a PITA for me to join using GH, I hope Kasa Matter won't be the same. To be fair, others joined the Tapo w/out big issues.

1 Like

True, not even sure why I ordered them. Maybe I should spend a little more and get thread enabled.. after all when I first started all of this years ago wifi devices were a last resort. Now with matter and thread it's back to wifi being cool?

That being said tho, most of my most dependable devices are wifi connected! Shelly switches being one.

So I also ordered some thirdreality outlets, even cheaper so may keep those over the kasa matter

2 Likes

I’ve got four Kasa and one Tapo matter plugs running my indoor Christmas decorations. They work great for my needs. I’ve used both Apple and Google Homes to get them into Hubitat without any issues.

2 Likes

My experience has been a pleasant one with Matter so far.
I have a total of 8 Aquara P2 contact sensors. For the most part, they paired fairly easy with my Echo Gen4. I had to do some retries on the pairing to get the Echo to see them, but overall it was pretty painless.

I ended up adding another Echo Gen4 device to have as a second TBR and it worked great. I tested this a couple of times now where I kill the power to one Echo, verified my automations with the sensors were still working properly, then brought the unit back online and repeated for the second echo.

The sensors themselves have been responsive and reliable, but it's only been about a week. I've seen the occasional lag from when the door is open to when the lights turn on, but we're talking about a second or two. Normally the lights come on immediately. Just as a note - I was using Ring Contact Sensors (gen2) prior to the Aquara devices. The ring sensors seemed a little bit faster than the Aquara sensors, but I ended up having intermittent issues with the ring sensors after a power outage where they would stop responding to the hub.

Hope that helps anyone that was on the fence!

3 Likes