Best way to repair a Z-Wave Device

I have a Z-wave device that had lost connection to the hub. What would be the best approach?

I would normally force delete, reset the device and repair. However the concern it a ghost may be created.

The only way this should happen if is the device was factory reset.

First thing I would try is totally power the device off for 30 seconds (flip breaker if needed). Air gap is not fully powered off.

If it still wont work you could try doing an exclusion on it, which if it has not been reset it should be able to exclude and remove the node. (If this does work it means the device should have been able to work on your mesh still)

It possible some sort of malfunction caused the device to basically factory reset itself, that's about the only way it would totally forget about your z-wave network. In that case what you said would be the way forward and yes it will leave a ghosted node behind. You could wait until AFTER you pair it again to do the force removal though, this would give you the chance to use Swap Apps to move automations to the new device.

2 Likes

Coupple time I had few zwave devices became completely unresponsive (not necessarily connection was lost or device was factory reset). Recycling power by flipping circuit bracker restored functionality.

Not sure if it works for zwave .. but with zigbee you can just put the device in pairing mode.
and "readd it " and it should start working ..

Not the same for Z-Wave, it would create a new node and device on the hub.

Ok .. well that kinda is a bummer ..

Saw this ...
Navigate to Settings, then select Z-Wave Details . If the device is marked FAILED in the Status column of the Z-Wave Radio Details page, a Replace button will be available. Selecting this button will initiate Inclusion Mode so the user may add a new device or the previously joined device.

Yeah the replace works pretty good also, to get it back on the same node.

I have a guide for using it here: [Guide] Updating Firmware and ZWave Replace

1 Like