Best way to automate after more than 1 motion trigger?

Using RM I have my ceiling fans set to turn on when motion is active and the temperature is below a certain threshold. I'd like to keep the cats from triggering them on so I'm wanting to write a rule that turns on the ceiling fans after a couple motion active reports but I'm unsure how to do this. Is wait for events with another motion trigger the proper way to do this? But I would need it on a timeout and start over period other wise if the cat walks into the room an hour later it would still turn on right? How should I approach this?

The easiest way is probably to use the built-in Zone Motion Controllers app and just "combine" them into a single sensor, then use that sensor in your app/rule:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Zone_Motion_Controllers

You could cetainly create logic in a rule to create the same outcome, but this is how I handle most of mine.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see this is a single sensor. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think @waffles has a single motion detector.

One way to do it is to increment a variable with each motion event. And decrement it after a set amount of time or no motion. When the variable = the desired value for 2 motion events within a set time, it can be used as a trigger.

3 Likes

Yes, 1 sensor. Is there documentation someplace for variables? I'm only finding stuff from when it was in Beta. I've never worked with variables and am kinda clueless how to start this.

I found this post but it's written like I should already understand variables. Hubitat, I really hate your documentation. Maybe hire a writer who can speak newbie? Forget it, I'll just let the cats turn on the fans, who cares anyways. Electricity is cheap.

1 Like

Burn the planet :smiley:

Schools have really let down students in the age of technology. Children should know the meaning of "variable" by the age they usually start algebra - and how to apply variables in a logic flow. It shouldn't be left to those who have chosen a programming module in their studies.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Rule-5.0#Hub_Variables

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.