Best Thermostat Option

Thanks for the input. I'm looking for something that will reliably take commands from Hubitat.

What does your HVAC system need? Two stage heating and cooling has been mentioned multiple times. Reliable, while important isn't as important as what your system needs. If your system is single stage, your choices are many, but if you have a 2 stage system, you need to be more careful.

1 Like

It's a single stage heating and cooling system. My ultimate goal/ideal condition is to have Hubitat turn the system On/Off or change the Target Temp using the temperatures from sensors around my house. All of the motion and contact sensors I have measure temperature and I want to leverage that information. I have a Radio CT101 and a Nest. While the NEST is a gorgeous piece of hardware it doesn't play nice with HE. The CT101 is reliable but fails the WAF score on looks. The Lux KONOz is starting to look like an interesting compromise.

One down side to this thermostat, it supports two stage heating, but not two stage cooling.
If your system is single stage no problem.

Is this something they might be able to change later with a firmware update?

Unlikely as the thermostat lacks a y2 terminal...

I spent 1 week with the NEST and then replaced it with the Lux KONOz. The KONOz works great with Hubitat but the NEST was simply better. Its a better piece of hardware with a better GUI and nice features built in like usage visualizations. For me the KONOz means 1 less app to manage and 1 less tool to account for during WAF calculations. I'll be using the KONOz exclusively moving forward for these reasons.
IMPORTANT: LUX sells a "KONO" and a "KONOz" - Where the KONO is a Wi-Fi model and the KONOz is a Z Wave. Only the KONOz works with Hubitat and the only place I found that had it for sale was the Lux website.

1 Like

Thank you for posting your experience transitioning from Nest to KONOz. I have been pondering that same change myself.

Do you live in an area where you run your air conditioning heavily this time of year? I am curious if you perceive a difference in 'comfort' between the two thermostats? I am finding my Nest thermostats are waiting for too large of a temperature shift before cooling the house back down. I live in coastal North Carolina, so heat and humidity are definitely a problem this time of the year.

To avoid any confusion... The KONOz is actually a Zigbee device... :wink:

1 Like

It's funny you should ask because I do. Im in Southern California and have a newborn in the house so the AC runs all day. I enjoy the KONOz a bit better than the NEST. Before removing it I also noticed that the NEST took longer to turn the AC on. My thermostat is usually set at what I believe is the edge of comfort 75 F so waiting too long meant the house was hitting 79-80 in certain parts before turning on. I just assumed that the NEST was still "learning" my routine but I guess theres more to it.

1 Like

So from what I understand the Ecobee does have local control, but only from Apple Homekit. Anyone have any experience with this setup?

AFAIK, Hubitat's homekit integration through HomeBridge is one-way. Homekit can see Hubitat devices (via HomeBridge). Hubitat cannot see Homekit-paired devices.

So, Hubitat can't see a Homekit-connected thermostat, like the ecobee.

Also, as you may be unaware of this - while Homekit can control the ecobee locally via WiFi, during boot, I'm fairly certain that all ecobee's need to connect to ecobee's cloud. So, one is still dependent on ecobee's cloud.

I was really just looking to get the status of the Ecobee faster, it is painfully obvious that you cant use the cloud API for vent control.

Yup. I'm getting set to replace my ecobee3 with a zigbee Zen thermostat.

1 Like

I think before I go that route I am going to connect a current sensing relay to my blower motor to use as an input, as long as its reliable.

For what it's worth I've been using the LUX KONOz Thermostat for a couple of months and it's been very reliable and quick to receive and update device changes. It does not support multi stage heating an cooling however.

2 Likes

I know. I wish it did. It is so much prettier and more ergonomically designed than the Zen. But I have a 2-stage heat pump with aux heat ....

1 Like

Hello, I'm about to purchase the KONOz thermostat. Just checking for any recent feedback. How is it working for you? Does it turn on quickly? Do the setpoints update correctly? Are you using the stock driver or custom device handler?

1 Like

The KONOz works great. It's very responsive and is always on so theres no boot up time for the thermostat. The boot up time for the system is at most a few minutes and that's if it's been sitting off for a while, otherwise quick boot up. It responds to commands sent via dashboard very rapidly and the Thermostat is accurate and reliable. My only complaint (a small one that I've spent no time troubleshooting) is that if I physically set the thermostat to 71 degrees then the dashboard sees that as 71.1 degrees and ultimately displays it as 72. For a few days I was stuck adjusting the hardware up 1 degree and then down a degree on the dashboard before I realized what was going on. Now that I know theres a delta of 1 degree then I have no other issues with the thermostat.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. If you change the setpoints through hubitat or dashboard does it correctly display or does it add the decimal at the end? I know you said this happens when you physically make the change at the thermostat.

I literally just had this problem with the zen thermostat so I returned it. Wondering if this a hubitat rounding issue across multiple drivers.

1 Like

I can't answer that, but I can say my GoControl GC-TBZ48 changes setpoints just fine - and has on over many hundreds of setpoint changes on the 4 thermostats I own.

1 Like

Im guessing the issue is a rounding error. I dont know whats causing it. Heres a picture of my Dashboard tile. The hardware is set to 71. The top line of the tile reads 71.1 and the middle toggle reads 72. This is the only issue as the hardware operates fine. In this instance if I bump the temp to 72 on the hardware then the dashboard tile would display 72.1 and 73. Any change on either the hardware or the tile is reflected on the other fine.