Best switches

Do you use 2 inovelli or a different setup to do that. I’ve done this with Casetta and a remote as well as the slaves from GE, but not inovelli.

I'm all ge. So dimmer plus slave.

Same and no problems at all with the slave setup.

Same.

And I have had an epiphany.

The best switches are the ones that work. :wink:

3 Likes

The insights I get from this community are truly profound!

1 Like

All the smart switches in my house are GE/Jasco zwave plus. I used their slave for 3 and 4 way. I have never had any problem with these switches they always just work. I use the zwave group association/scene option that you can program from the device page for some simple automations.

I have recently purchased a couple inovelli switches (fan switch and a red series dimmer), they have yet to arrive. I need the dimmer for one location where it would be exceptionally difficult to get a neutral into the box. I am glad they came out with a zwave plus dimmer that does not need a neutral, it is saving me a lot of drywall repair and their fan switch saves me opening up walls and ceilings to run a second wire.

I notice the inovelli switches also include zwave group association/scene. Will this work across manufactures? If I go to the inovelli device page for the switch can I program a double tap to turn on a GE/Jasco switch? (This can obviously be done, through RM, but I am wondering if I can do it from the device page using the zwave group association/scene feature.)

Yes, as long as the devices are at the same security level (both non-secure, both S0 or both S2) then association should work between the devices. At least technically - I have no inovelli devices so have no idea if they let you set associations in their driver.

Personally, I think the GE/Jasco in-wall switches are garbage. I had one go bad after about a year. I emailed Jasco, and the sent me 2 switches free. Both of them have stopped working within 18 months. Are there any switch manufactures with a proven track record of quality? What in-wall switches have you people used that have lasted at least 5 years?

As previously mentioned - My old Zooz V2 "toggle style" switches/dimmers (Zen23/24) have lasted about 3 years - I'm only thinking about replacing them due to their lacking certain nice capabilities like scene control, smartbulb mode and ability to update the firmware.

A client of mine has the newer V3 & V4 models and they have been working since August 2020.

That's about as far back as I can go...

inovelli red for the win.

1 10 pack gives you almost enough points for another single switch. you'd get 2 free easy.

I like Inovelli's too but around my area it's the classic switch look for the most part not decora "paddle" style.

Another client of mine has had Inovelli Red switches for about 6 months and all good so far...

Somewhat depends on use cases. If you're not going to use smart bulbs and want a switch that just generally works without much fiddling then the GE/Jasco switches are a good choice.

In bathrooms or near entryways, the Jasco Motion switches are a good choice since you won't need to add an additional sensor. Keep in mind that Zigbee for motion is preferable due to the response time. You may want to augment them with some ceiling motion sensors to keep the lights on while in showers for example.

For areas where you want to possibly add smart bulbs and keep the load on while switching the bulbs off, then Inovelli Red Scene Dimmers are a good choice. These have a ton of options to choose from but may need some fiddling to get them dialed in.

The Zooz switches can be a good low-cost choice and offer a fair bit of options.

I know you don't want to hear this, but I have GE/Jasco/Honeywell switches and dimmers that have lasted for five years. My entire house is GE/Jasco/Honeywell and none have failed with the exception of one switch, which Jasco promptly replaced w/out issue recently for free. It was a great support experience.

It is unfortunate that you have gotten such bad results, and I can understand why you wouldn't trust them any more.

Almost forgot - another reason to use GE/Jasco/Honeywell switches are the great drivers that @JasonJoel has created for them. Top notch!!

2 Likes

I went Casetta. I wanted to go Inovelli, but they seemed to be having stock issues and I need to have an option to have a few extras. In the end I’ve installed 60 Lutron devices with switches, remotes, lamp plugs and motion detectors.

Overall I’m very happy, but miss the color LEDs as a way to monitor things. I also prefer the paddles to the Casetta’s looks but can’t have everything.

On cost - I bought most at HomeDepot with a bulk deal but that wasn’t a huge part of my decision.

I have 2 fans lights, I still need to do and am looking at the Inovelli fan controllers as the fans use remotes and only seem to have 1 load wire.

I think the issue was with the older switches. I have them as well for my bath fans and they've been fine and were installed around the same time as the old Zooz switches.

One thing I will mention since I've seen it done; don't use light switches for ceiling fans/vents. Fans/motors require a large inrush current to kick start them. Fan controllers are specifically designed for this. On the Jaso versions, you'll notice this by the flashing blue light when the fan first kicks on. Using regular switches can cause premature failure.

2 Likes

Jasco/GE advertise as being rated for fans.. that's why I am using them as opposed to Zooz for the bath fans.

3 Likes

Yes, that was my understanding as well.

Yes, as long as it's advertised as such you should be fine. Its cases where its not and used where it's a concern since it requires different hardware in the switch to prevent it burning out from the surge.

2 Likes

You are soo right - I initially made that mistake with Zooz.. They are/were definitely NOT rated for fans. To be fair they are very clear about this.

1 Like